1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moped Insurance #wtf...

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by comesunt, Oct 21, 2018.

1. I wanted to insure a 50cc rev-and-go moped so I can ride to some waste ground with my daughter on the back; so she can learn to ride. 50 years old with license for almost 30 years (me; not the daughter...) Selected third party only on go-com-obvious; and lowest quote I got was £65.

Seems pretty excessive seeing as it'll only cost me £130 for a 959...

#wtf...

Discuss...

2. It mightbe fully comp is a very similar price.

3. Perhaps rather than taking the "Shameless" route, you could send her for lessons and put her through her CBT?

EDIT: and most insurance companies charge £30 - £50 for "admin", so how much was the premium and how much was fluff and packing?

4. Yep, going to do all that; just thought some time on the bike before then wouldn't do her any harm.
    I'll pay the pesky £65 to enable me to do that; but I do think that the price is somewhat taking the piss

5. The administration cost will be the same as a really expensive policy, so maybe £40 plus £25 for the risk?

6. IMO - teaching her all of your terrible riding techniques might cause more harm than good.

Before you jump down my throat for that, I am not assuming you're a dreadful rider. I've been through similar with SWMBO lately who is doing her test and TBH I found my 27 years of real world experience was doing more harm than good as the world has moved on somewhat since I did my test. I continue to develop my riding whenever I can and am receptive to all knowledge I can get into but some of the CBT / Mod 1 / Mod 2 stuff blew my mind... it was kind of understandable but not very real-world so I wound my neck in and we're taking the approach that she will learn, and she will continue to take training and develop her riding but I won't "teach" her as I'm a dinosaur ;)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information