1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More Home Heating Stuff

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by PerryL, Jul 13, 2021.

1. To further upset the reptiles, I thought that I would share that I've signed to have a my "so-called" cheap rate crapo heaters replaced with Fischer room heaters. That will mean that I can just go to a normal 24-hour tariff and get the best deal.

Someone else is coming back to quote on installing solar and a battery. The guy that came yesterday reckoned that my net use would be around zero. I'll have that!

I did not realise that the panels just rely on light and not direct sunshine. It probably won't be cheap but I like the sound on hardly using any mains leccy!

So sorry, reptiles - no gas central heating and water pumping will be going on here!

2. The panels are more effective under direct and by some margin. Diffuse light less so. 30° angle facing south is optimum. Dont get drawn in by sales talk, they only care about sales not efficacy.

3. And the reptiles were right. Since fitting the Fischer Water Heater, my leccy bills have gone through the roof! I am now using about three units a day for all of my hot water needs (and I shower every day!) but I do really miss my gas - NOT!

4. I am not drawn in by anything. I thought that solar panels needed direct sunlight and would generate nothing on a cloudy day. The thing that I like about Fischer is that they are just honest. They do not try to sell you anything that you don't need. So far, my experience with them has been that I can 100% trust them to see me right.

5. Direct is more intense, so the photon density hitting the panel is high. Diffuse light is obviously less dense as the photons are scattered.

I'm still struggling to figure out what you are on about as the energy input to raise water from 10° to 60° is identical whether its gas or electric (ignoring boiler efficiency for simplicity). Gas is cheaper per kWh. So I am a little confused.

6. Don't worry about it as this went round and round in circles before, with the general consensus, by the idiots, being that I had been ripped off.

And the demonstration of the principal being one-time used ski boot warmers, they have found a way to re-use them over and over again.

Go to the Fischer web site https://www.fischerfutureheat.com/electric-heaters/ and believe - as was the consensus of opinion here - that it is all a giant rip-off.

I've invested thousands in it for I am an idiot shunning the future - GAS!

7. How much was the Fischer installed? How much is the remaining replacement items?

8. The hot water heater was about£1500 installed. It is guaranteed for ten years and requires no maintenance. The room heaters that I ordered yesterday, were about £4700. They install everything themselves as they do not trust anyone but their own. They will also, as part of the install, sort out the wiring so that I can still use the storage heater ring-main on normal power.

The initial cost is high but with no maintenance (as in local people coming to suck in air through their teeth and tell you that you can't get the parts y'know) and a ten year warranty and tiny electricity use, once they are in, costs should be small. And I'll save again by dumping night-rate electricity so that I will miss the pleasure of paying way over the odds for daytime use.

I haven't worked it out but in the long-term, I will save probably, as my low energy use and zero "maintenance" will ensure that my ongoing costs will be small.

9. Check if the pv panels are warranted with a known 3rd party uk insurer such as Zurich. 25 year performance warranty underwritten by Zurich was an install I looked at a few years ago. That deal also included the inverter; which doesn’t last a great deal of time either.

10. The re usable heat storage chemicals still need to be reheated.

Energy cannot be created nor destroyed, you can only use energy more efficiently.

Given you seem to live alone your energy needs must be negligible I don’t see during the rest of what’s left of your life that you will have a net saving.

If those that don’t agree with you in your opinion are idiots why is it that you’re creating threads asking people’s opinions. I doubt they’re idiots it just you don’t want an alternative view yet start threads?

11. The houses in this close were all built with electricity night storage heaters. I reckon that I am the only one who never converted to gas. Installing gas heating will be banned in a few years (I think that it may already be in Scotland) and then existing gas users will be forced to convert back to leccy - providing that the gov doesn't renege on its promise - which it will, probably. I can watch as an unaffected user from now on. I'm ready for the laugh!

12. I am not creating a thread to ask for anyone's' opinion. It is done and I thought that I would share - although I regret that, now.

13. Here we go again. God, I regret sharing! Energy IS NOT created. A chemical reaction occurs in the crystals (which in both cases turn from liquid to solid) so the heat comes from the exothermic reaction. IT IS CHEMISTRY - he screams until he is blue in the face!!!!

Look, if anyone believes that the web site is rubbish and Fischer are bullshitters then fine. Go and burn gas and be happy, You've won and I've lost. I have been ripped off and I should have got gas central heating installed whilst I could.

I've lost out for I am an idiot.

14. I was only interested as at some point boiler will go and need replacing

15. I am not up with the rules, but gas boiler replacement may not be possible at some point. Have a look at the Fischer Future Heat web site and see what you think. It could depend upon how long you think that you'll stay in your current house. The upfront costs are quite high and you'll need to be their for a while to save on energy use and maintenance costs to make it up. I didn't have to consider this, as I made the decision a few weeks ago that I am not going to move and so it was easy. I doubt that you could sell a house for more coz you have Fischer heating.

With me, it was easy as my gas water heater broke and now, I wanted to dump night rate electricity. If I decide suddenly to move next year then for me, I wouldn't regret what I've done, but different for everyone!

16. Ok so you agree with my statement that energy cannot be created.

You state the energy is generated through a chemical reaction, so it isn’t connected to a power source and you’re drawing power from Fischer’s box and the chemical reaction therein and not an outside supply.

Interesting :thinkingface:.

17. For me it will be ground pumps and solar but then I have the space for the ground pump and a South facing garden.

From my basic understanding air source pumps are also an option.

18. Modern air source heat pump combined with pv are good if you have a very well insulated home and ideally underfloor heating. Most ashp systems run water to about 55C only.

19. I never wanted a pump or anything to do with water. I only do simple. My hot water unit was installed in about 2 hours and I had my first shower an hour later. Nothing drilled or holes made anywhere and nothing screwed to any wall, either. The heaters will be screwed to my walls replacing the night storage heaters that are screwed to the walls, already. I have two in my lounge at the moment, but they reckon that they can just use one of theirs. End result should be that my energy cost me much less - even if I don't go for solar and a battery - and it will be miles more controllable with no guessing the next day's weather. If I want heat then I just turn on the heater and if I don't then I turn it off. You do have remote controls for each heater and you can just set the room temp to be what you want and the heater controls itself to turn off and on.

You can also set in half hour increments, when to switch on or off. Also, then is a holiday setting if you go away.

20. Moving from gas to electric is the probably right thing to do in 2030. But the truth is, it will cost more due to kWh/unit costs. The move from gas to elec is down to the clean air act and emissions. gas historically has had a lower co2 emissions factor than elec. Less than half. However with the greening of the grid, this is changing right now. Currently theyre comparable. Costs havent changed though. It will be more expensive.

Those old storage heaters had a habit of dumping their heat when you were at work, and when you came home there was fuck all left. Useless things.

A new combi, suitably installed with the correct controls and compensator would have been my choice from a cost point of view. Unless you can get a good elec tariff. I question the costs. Theres no getting away from the cost diff per unit for elec and gas. Using 16p/kWh and 4p/kWh respectively. Elec is 4x the cost. Then you have the additional question that is my elec supply robust enough for the increased demand.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information