1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 Mosfet R/r Myths

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Chris.King1, Jan 15, 2019.

1. So, I am about to solder the Triumph adapter lead to the bike wires, as you can disconnect at the R/R end anyway.

However, my SPS is single phase and the mosfet r/r is designed for 3 phase, so will simply snip one of the 3 wires off the triumph adapter.

My question is this...should a single phase design on the bike, connected to a R/R designed for 3 phase have any adverse/damaging effect in the bike?

Been doing a lot if research in tech forums, bike forums and the opinion is divided, and not all that it seems! Yes it runs cooler, more diodes, etc...but concerns over the alternator, etc, etc.

2. Step away from the motorcycle....

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. I think you're on the right track . Let us know if it works out .

• Like Like x 1
  5. yup, Ducati in 1999 done away with single phase (2 yellow), but some 99 sps models were still produced single phase. That's what gave me the headache when deciding to buy it, until Ducati got back to me confirming its genuine.

6. Why are you not just using the correct part?

7. I have had the 3 phase shindengen mosfet r/r on my single phase 748 for about 7 years, trouble free.

2013-10-05 08.44.16.jpg 2013-10-05 08.35.00.jpg
    Steve

• Like Like x 1
  8. An SPS is 3 phase , 3 yellow

9. Thanks Steve, good to know. I bought a new one, adapter too. I like the idea you can disconnect at r/r end, meaning I can solder directly to bike, eliminating potential resistance from corrosion

s-l500 (4).jpg

10. I put plenty of vaceline on the plugs when I put them together to help with moisture.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. well that's the r/r installed. Very stable 14.5v at 3000 revs. Mounted on the oem plate with additional Fibreglass tape on the back and heatshielded wiring. Unbelievable how cool the mosfet r/r runs. Haven't had any need to put the battery on charge yet, worthwhile upgrade.

WP_20190126_11_20_27_Pro.jpg

WP_20190124_20_51_13_Pro.jpg

WP_20190124_20_50_59_Pro.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  12. I have the same thing with great results on my Monster.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Nice work! One thing I noticed when I did mine was the cables were pushing against the lower air vents on the fairing. If the older panels have the lower air vents in the same place, it might be worthwhile shifting the reg back, closer to the clutch housing.

• Like Like x 1
  14. I still have the option to move it back another inch, as you say, can push against the fairing vent, but just manages to fit, I set it a little further back

15. I know a couple of forum users who have had ekectrexworld
    Should be ok, although I like to stick to oem parts as fitted by factory on bikes...is there not a few forum members who have had electrexworld regs fail though?

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. I've had them fail on a
    I've had them fail on a Fireblade (twice) and a Trumpet Speed Four / triple?
    Replaced two under warranty, still ok to date as far as I know.

17. Yep I had one fail just 13 months old, I reported a problem to Electrex when it was intermittently giving problems at 9 months old, then reported the total failure at 13 months and I got no reply from ether E-mail.
    Steve

18. Ive got an upgraded electrex alternator in my 525 supermoto....been fine for the last 3 or 4 years or so....

19. @Old rider clumsy fingers or am I doing something wrong. Post no 10

• Thanks Thanks x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information