1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mosfet Regulator / Rectifier 1098

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Robarano, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Right, after all of the chat on LiPo batteries on here, I might as well play safe and put a Mosfet r/r on the 1098R.

There is a bit of chat on here and a few threads, but I can't find a definitive guide.

So from anybody who knows or has done this conversion......What do I need and what do I do to fit on a 1098? :thinkingface:

2. what battery have you got? ( sensible question BTW) as in if its std and all good i wouldnt bother?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Has anyone got a circuit diagram for the 1098R gen set.. it might have one already?
    If the regulator / rectifier is anywhere near the exhaust it would be worth relocating it.

4. Shorai LFX18A1-BS12

I've never had a pick of bother and I'm not a natural worrier, but some people have had issues. So I'm thinking, why not. It was put on when I had a lot of starting issues after I bought the bike.

Screenshot 2019-02-10 at 19.20.17.png

5. on the 1098r 1198 motor the wires out from the generator will disconnect and you can move the regulator to the right side of the engine.
    bikesportdevelopments.co.uk do a nice mounting bracket spacers and bolts to move it...

• Useful Useful x 2
  6. Yep, standard location too. Hance the request for a definitive guide.

IMG_3931.JPG

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. This company that AndyB found list a Mosfet Reg / Rec but have also released a Lithium compatible one too. Not sure why or what the difference is but as some Mosfet manufacturers say don't use with Lithium, it could be worth asking them :thinkingface:
    Re positioning would be a good move though too.
    https://ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/results/

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Just to note, in the description it says it has overheat protection and will turn itself off to cool down if the need arises.

#11 Itsamonster, Feb 10, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  9. Nice trick?
    I'd like to know how it dissipates the energy?
    That aside, the advert makes sense and is well written from a technical point of view.
    Which bikes still have the non permanent magnets or field effect?.. they'd to use the bulb in the speedo to limit the current in the generator, like the BMW R45 etc.

Try putting some heatsink compound on the metal side when you attach it to the metal bracket... it can only help with heat transfer.

#12 AirCon, Feb 10, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2019
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. Here is the Ricks lithium reg/rec: https://ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/Hot-Shot-Lithium-Ion-Compatible-Rectifier-Regulator-14_009H

Ironically called the Hot Shot....

Rick's Motorsport Electrics offers their Hot Shot Aftermarket Lithium Ion Compatable Rectifier Regulator for Ducati models with OE# 540.4.019.1A and 540.4.027.1A. Rick's part #14-009H is a direct replacement for the OEM piece that is made with the correct voltage set point to work with Lithium Ion batteries. **This rec-reg is not for use with standard lead acid batteries. The voltage set point is 14V +/- .2. Please contact the manufacturer of your Lithium Ion Battery to ensure our product has the correct set point for their product. ***Rick's Motorsport Electrics One Year Product Warranty is for the Rec-Reg only. Rick's warranty does not cover batteries of any type. Retail Price: $164.95

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Yes, cool name :cold_sweat:o_O

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  12. Thanks. It looks like it hits the spec of the Shorai battery.

Screenshot 2019-02-15 at 22.01.48.png

13. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2008/RCRIT-08V638-4276.pdf

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Yep, mentioned that - it caused fires too, which is why fitting a lithium battery is more of a risk on these bikes than some others, even with the upgrade and heat deflector... sensible to use a correct type reg/rec and re positioning as mentioned above...

15. Oh no not again.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. At least it was 'on topic' :innocent:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. I used the triumph adapter kit and a rec/reg from a pani.

• Useful Useful x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information