1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mot Fail If You Have Converted To Led

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Billywiztheelder, Jan 15, 2021.

1. If you have converted/retro-fitted HID or LED lights to the front headlight of your bike, it will be failed at MOT test.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-ins...o4zPE5PUwT60zCSyk3HtW3HWF5RkVuCKtjhlDR9K58CHk

Guidance rule 4.1.4

“Some motorcycles may be fitted with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) headlamps. Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with HID or LED bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.”

I guess there will be quite a few of us in this boat, including me. Yet another naughty bit to swop out before going to the test.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Or be ‘selective’ where you take it.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 2
  3. I think that applies if you have changed a bulb from original to LED, which is then used with the original reflector. Sealed LED headlamp units should not be affected.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Been around for a long time that, due to the fashion of retro fitted HID to cars, something to do with the reflector and also the headlamp washers or lack of them? Guess it has now been expanded to include LED's?

5. yip, on cars if HID have been fitted there must also be a wash system fitted too.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. LED shouldn’t be a fail if it’s a quality LED and has the correct pattern. LED lamps are now very good and also available for classic cars who’s headlights resemble candles in fog!

7. P.s. they are not bulbs, bulbs grow in the garden.:)

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. If HID lights fitted they must be self levelling and have washers, so I’m told

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Here we go, just like on facebook this could turn into internet armchair MOT testers war. Although I could be wrong and it just follows most other posts and morphs into a Brexit argument.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. This is what I have been told as well ( tbh all my cars that had HID bi-xenon had self levelling and washers)
    I don't understand how can Ford sell the Ford Transit with HID and without washers....
    Edit
    HID and LED are not exactly the same

11. it's been a wee while since this armchair mot tester tested, but in the 20odd years that i did, i learned that if they come fitted rather than aftermarket, they don't need washers.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. I have a van with aftermarket LED conversion. It also means that hi beam dash blue tell tale light doesn't function.

The MOT station called to say that beam pattern needed adjustment. Pass with no advisories this time. It wasn't a cheap MoT and I do wonder of a lot of the recommended little jobs were penance for the dodgy lights.

13. Pass and advise. they are put there to cover the testers arse. it means they have checked a testable item but didnt consider it excessive at time of test.
    much of an MOT is opinion, and one tester opinion is different from another, as it is with the authorities that administer and police it from one area to the next.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. right ive actually bought this subject up with dvsa as i get quite a few older bikes in with hid conversions, but in the paragraph above the hid part it says you can have any light source , so i phoned them up and they said as long as it has the correct pattern you can pass it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. I’m not an armchair mot tester or anything like that but I did some research into this because my Stag headlights are rubbish. I was going to go the HID route but then found out about the self levelling and washers, not possible on the Stag.

Then I found a website called classic car LED. The ones for my car would be H4 and the company told me the light pattern is exactly the same as halogen H4. They use these on there own cars without issue. I haven’t heard of a problem regarding LED at MOT but I have regarding HID.

Obviously these are cars and not bikes but I honestly can’t see an issue.

I’m no mechanic or MOT tester or lawyer, yes I’ve done armchair research and have thought of fitting to my bike.

Again, obviously I don’t want to give assurances but I don’t see a problem. Perhaps ask your MOt tester for advice if you want some. Better lights can only be, err, better, right?

16. BUT, I’m bang on about them not being bulbs, that’s how you get Tulips and Daffodils.

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. I wouldn’t know about Faceache, I’ve got friends.:)

18. Did you not read the quote from the regs? What do you not understand by “If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.”?

And, yes they are termed “bulbs” as stated in the regs.

Candidates are strongly advised to read the questions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. I am sorry but that is just not correct. The lamp works in conjunction with an optic and it is the optic which controls the beam pattern. Changing the light source changes the beam pattern as the optical centre of the light source is different for each light source. It is the change in beam pattern which VOSA wish to stop as it dazzles oncoming drivers. This change of pattern is inevitable and the “if the pattern is the same” you suggest, never happens

MSc Light and Lighting

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information