1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mot Question

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Ackers, Dec 2, 2020.

1. Just had the mutley MOT’ed, all ok apart from the front tyre needing replacement soon but another advisory was “Brake indicates slight fluctuation of brake effort Front” would that be a warped disk?

2. Sounds like it, had the same on my old Fireblade under hard breaking you could feel it through the lever.:confused:

3. Not necessarily, it could just be that the semi floating bobbins aren’t floating. Whilst you are there, make sure your caliper pistons are free and all retract when you release the pressure on the lever. If that is all good, very possible. Andy

• Like Like x 1
  4. I can second this: For years I had problems with my Monster at Mot time when they put it on a rolling road brake tester machine . Getting fed up with this and noticing a more warped disk that it was the month before and I know how to brake properly! I took off the front wheel and noticed that the the disks were seized on some of the bobbins, so the disk wasn't floating properly. Spent about 24 hours soaking the bobbins in WD40 and he devised a tool to spin the bobbin with a drill. Then, thoroughly degreased and re-fitted the front wheel. Perfect! Like new!

Mind you: next, some bastid pulled out in front of me and wrote off the bike and me!

Actually, as your were. Try something else!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Yeah I've got that as well, 1200 Enduro, need to have a go at my bobbins ...

6. yeah usually means slightly warped discs or caliper grabbing

• Like Like x 3
  7. Motoliner can probably straighten those discs

8. That's interesting! Didn't know it was possible ... do they skim them?

9. not sure mate to be honest. But I’ve seen them do them before :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. If the bike has stood for any length of time or in a damp environment there can be a chemical reaction between the pad and the disc which leaves a residue on the disc which can have the same symptoms of a warped disc - slight pulsing at the lever. An Italian tune up can fix this - get up to a good speed and apply a light then increasing pressure to the brake - do this a few times and you may wipe the reside from the disc, worth trying before spending any money or having the hassle of stripping them off.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. You can also get the same result by holding the pads onto a hot disc, like when stopping at a T junction after a quick blast then holding the front brake on while you wait for the way to clear. Pad material transfers to the disc surface resulting in uneven braking around the circumference of the disc.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. You'll probably see a pad sized area of slight pitting in the discs

Do Not Sell My Personal Information