1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moto Gp & T.t Rear Wheel Nut Tightening Torque

Discussion in 'Racing & Bike Sport' started by CRYSTALJOHN, Jun 20, 2018.

1. After another battle with removing my rear wheel nut I was pondering how tight the rear wheel nuts are on the Moto GP and T.T bikes.
    The crew guys seem to do it so quickly and without too much apparent effort. After they have wound the nut on with a cranked nut runner they appear to use a torque wrench whilst kneeling down, a quick flick and it's done. I'm convinced they are not that strong that they can put the same sort of torque that our Ducati's seem to require, possibly they use a different system of axle and fixings.
    Can anyone enlighten me please?

2. I'll own up. I never torque up my rear wheel. I just leave it to my clarke ce impact driver. :) Despite having a suitable Norbar Torque Wrench for the job.

3. I torque. With everything else having to be threadlocked for racing, I wonder if they have to have a split pin or similar, through the axle and that lets them run less torque too.

4. @JH_1986

I'm fairly sure that a split pin or securityclip isn't used ( although I could be wrong)
    I've watched them as closely as possible for years, and it appears to me once the final 'flick of the wrist' with the torque wrench has occurred, it's off the rear paddock stand and away.

5. Depends what bike you have but for 1199, I was told it comes out the factory at 240Nm (ffs!), my Ducati dealer (who preps race team bikes & who I trust 100%) says 180Nm & chief spannerman in a Superstock Team back in 2012 said 150Nm

6. Mine nearly came off the multi. Felt the rear giving a bit of a shimmy, pulled over to find it nearly off. Finger tight for a slow ride home. Security clip wasn’t properly in either o_O

Was 100% fine last time I’d checked too.

7. Don’t know about the motogp ones mate. I’ve had some right wrestles getting the rear nut off in the past when I first got the Ducati so I’m quite well sorted now. I have the biggest breaker bar I could buy; maybe 1.5m but I’d need to check, I get someone to sit on the bike and just tighten it with the bar and do it some more. It probably doesn’t go to the full torque but it’s never given me an issue on either of the Panigales.

8. I think half the problems we have as road riders is that the nut doesn't get undone very often . Maybe once a year for a rear tyre?
    I undo mine on my Duc and the one on my MV every couple of months and they undo fairly easy .
    99% of the TT boys have double sided swingarms so the nut doesn't have to be done up nearly as much as a single sider?

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. At the TT and in BSB we torque the rear wheel to 100Nm , Ducati’s are much more due to the single sided swingarm , I wouldn’t tighten my wheel with a knocker gun as this could damage the bearings

• Like Like x 1
  10. Thanks for that Flymo.
    I can see that's it's possible to apply 100Nm whilst kneeling with a 2' long wrench.
    Do you use any security clips, I've never seen any being used?

11. Christ no! I'd never use an impact driver for tightening a nut. Removing yes....

12. If I was using it on track a lot, like you Mary, then I'd be a bit more circumspect.

13. I do exactly the same but it's bad practice. I think the Panigale nut should be ~220nm. Which is loads. And yes, doing it how we do it we'll be below 220nm. But as you say, it's a wrestle and you need to muster half the lads in the paddock every time you change a tyre....

14. It's not that mate, you can easily strain or worse, strip your threads.... eeeeek :sob:

15. Yes, Im aware. But I dont give it the berries. Just a very quick buzz. I agree with you that its naughty.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Interesting source of optimum tightness for threads.

A properly tightened bolt is one that is stretched such that it acts like a very ridged spring pulling mating surfaces together.

http://www.zerofast.com/proper-bolt-torque

17. There is no nut as such on a TT / superbike rear axle as the axel itself is hex on one end and threaded the other which screws into the chain adjuster , I have worked on some swingarms that have a spring loaded clip that drops into a slot at the “nut” end of the axel , this needs pulling out as you undo the axel during pit stops and could slow things down or even worse fail in some way and trap itself so not widely used . Everything is done for speed and simplicity, in BSB this year we went from dry to wet set up in 3.5 minuets which included both wheels changed , rear shock ,front spring and a gearing change and adjust the chain accordingly.. this is only possible with the modifications made

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. Different thing altogether. I've only read the body of the post, not the link. This application is used in heavy pipework engineering in the oil gas industry for example, using soft steel ring gaskets. It's known as bolt tensioning. On our bikes we are talking torque settings which is more of a tightening to resistance.

• Useful Useful x 1
  19. Ah, that's how they do the rear axle, no nut to fiddle about with must speed things up considerably.
    Takes me about 8 hours to swap the rear shock on my 848Evo ( mainly because of poor design by Ducati)
    Probably takes me about 2 hours to swop both wheels, so, much as I would like to work in BSB or the TT I don't think I could make the grade lol.
    3.5 mins to do all that work is quite incredible!

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information