1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motocap Clothing Tests

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by Freerange_egg, Dec 9, 2019.

1. I think it was the Australians who came up with the NCAP car safety tests, and now they've done the same for motorcycle clothing: MotoCAP safety rating - choose the right gear for your ride

As well as abrasion, seam burst and impact resistance tests, MotoCAP also tests how easily sweat can escape, insulation and water proofing. It looks useful.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  2. To be sold in the UK as Motorcycle clothing, the item is required by UK and European law to comply with a CE safety standard. Andy

3. Thanks, I know but I figured the MotoCAP test results would add more info. For example, you can sort the products according to the MotoCAP safety rating.

The CE ratings from A to AAA are handy for jackets and trousers, but there's no A-rating for gloves. Incidentally, Ducati Corse C3 are the highest rated gloves at the moment, with a 4-star rating.

4. A good guide to the efficiency of often expensive gear can't be a bad thing. Though I don't want this to be a lead in to more mandatory equipment to be worn at all times.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. I agree. Though I doubt it'll lead to anything more mandatory in the UK, because MotoCAP is Australian.

The MotoCAP test results show some expensive kit has crap protection, while some moderately priced kit has good protection. It makes interesting browsing before buying kit!

6. The Brit government pick up all kinds of ideas about motorcycling from overseas, and enact almost anything if makes its more difficult!

7. In this instance, the Australians picked up the idea from us!

I'm relaxed about this leading to anything more, because we've had regulations for motorcycle Personal Protective Equipment since 1994. Yet the only compulsory gear hasn't changed in 25 years (i.e. just a helmet).

I really like the idea of a good guide to the efficiency of our gear. It means I can avoid buying expensive kit with crap protection!

8. Ah young man, I can still remember the days when you could pass a bike test and ride any motorcycle that you could afford whilst still being too young to vote or buy a beer.. Now you have to be 24 to even think about a bike that actually has some performance.

Still you are right, a genuine guide to rating protection equipment is not a bad thing at all.

#8 Jez900ie, Dec 10, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  9. After attending an IAM evening recently at which Motolegends give a talk, it seems the A rating system is a bit of a joke. Apparently a single A rated product could actually be better at protection than a multi A rated product ?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information