1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motolug Trailer

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Leesey, Aug 8, 2020.

1. Hi all

I don’t know if this is the right section.

I thought I would share my latest purchase.
    ‘‘Twas bought for a trip to wales so we can enjoy the roads without having to put motorway miles on her and also get to the hotel in more comfort.
    Wasn’t cheap for a trailer at £845 (this has the 10inch wheel upgrade which they threw in for free) but seems really good quality and the ability to take it about and put it in the boot is a nice plus, it is also much easier to store than a Normal motorbike trailer and cheaper to buy than a transit van.
    ive not towed with it yet but should tow fine from what I’ve read and I’m used to towing.
    Any questions just ask.

747284B7-3F4B-447B-B16E-A999A874E058.jpeg

F7DE21F0-4111-46AE-B9C0-F802DC78F4DA.jpeg

B58F6695-474E-4AB6-BAB6-76AB97ECE259.jpeg

984523DB-7B9E-435F-A95B-25CA69EB5177.jpeg

44798919-A915-4829-82C4-0236AC853FB6.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  2. Looks good that, let us know how it tows, stability etc.

3. Will do I will be using it a couple of weeks.

4. I’ve had one for three or four years. You can load a bike on your own, it has a wheel chock to hold the bike, and I have done but in all honesty I don’t like the idea of trusting it so I often ask someone to just stand next to it just in case

Great bits of kit. Not really designed to be towed without a bike on it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Yeh the boss stood next to it just in case and if there wasn’t a bike on it I would fold it up and put it in the car.
    I’m looking forward to using it. When we go to my parents etc I’ll take the bike now in case I fancy using it whereas before it would have been left in the garage.

6. Thanks chaps, and presumable, as you can still see the car lights and reg, dont need a tail board, lights plate?

7. It has lights etc and a space for the number plate which fit into the sections at the rear. I just didn’t fit them as I was putting the bike on to check how easy it would be not to tow it.

8. The sections fit in here and contain lights and you fit a number plate. There is on for each side of the trailer

ABA7B01E-71EC-4508-B04A-E17F1C5715F8.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  9. I've got the double one.... they are brilliant.
    Normally move bikes in the van, as more secure when stopping.
    More thought could have gone into the light board and cable arrangements and the fold in the middle is a finger guillotine.

10. Would love a can but the cost at the mo is prohibitive. Would love a long wheel base crew cab so could get the bike in the back and the wife and 4 kids could all have a seat.

11. I just bought a trailer recently and was considering one of these because I need to store it in my back garden which is only accessible through a narrow gate but they're really expensive, so I went for a second hand Dave Cooper 2 bike trailer which can be separated from its axle by the removal of 4 easily accessible bolts.

I'm kind of regretting it and reconsidering because from what I have since read about the Motolug, you can load the bike without needing to use a ramp. Is that correct?

Also, how long does it take to fold/break it down for storage?

Thanks

12. 10 mins in single configuration. 11 in double.
    Here’s mine.
    2C3341AF-E483-4A90-9A15-7534E60CEC7C.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  13. great bit of kit . @Zhed46 . piece of piss to dismantle and build without tools 10 -15mins max, loading is without a ramp too.
    but as other have said must be towed with a full load, otherwise it must live in the boot

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. @Zhed46 if you look in the first post the third picture down shows the trailer in the ramp position. The hitch head pivots tipping the whole trailer up (if that makes sense). Took me around 10 mins for everything to build it.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. #16 Nelson, Aug 9, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  16. 64EBFB3E-53B6-4391-BF6E-A4092B7D3059.jpeg

FWIW
    I use screw up carrabiners to attach the straps to the trailer.
    After a mile or so the bike will settle and the straps will not be as tight anymore, a hooked strap can leap off

• Useful Useful x 3
  17. @Expat Jack what dimensions are the padlock that your using on the hitch head

18. Let you know tomorrow when I dig it all out. Think I got it at B&Q IIRC

Do Not Sell My Personal Information