1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motorbike Hydraulic Work Bench Pitfalls?

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by Loz, Jun 29, 2017.

1. Looking at purchasing one of these lifty-platform things to help my old bones access those hard-to-reach areas of the bike (i.e. anything beyond the handlebars). Who knows, I may get inspired to clean the bike properly.

Any recommendations or warnings?
    I see various types at various price-points for sale. I like the look of a compact lift (no-name brand) for £250ish (unused) as it will fit in my garage and won't break the bank, but you get what you pay for always applies. I assume Clarke and Sealey are popular types but they cost more and are bigger, to boot.

Advice from the panel of experts?

2. Once you have one you'll wonder how you managed without. Watch the the adjuster valve from new, if not set right the bike will lower too fast!
    The only complaint I'd make is the manufacture should make them with 4 trestle type wheels rather than just the 2.
    Sorry - don't know what brand mine is.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. I've been looking at one too, when I've worked my way through the list of other priorities.

A big thing for me is being able to use an Abba Superbike stand on the ramp, which from memory requires a bed width of 700 mm minimum. Check lengths too. Hobby/DIY ramps seem to be shorter and narrower than the commercial ones. I measured a few for the Streetfighter and some would have had the back wheel hanging in space which would be a real pain for twin-spar swinging arm wheel changes. The largest I found was a Clarke from Machine Mart.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. I have one on order too - same reason

Depends what you want to spend.

I wanted the electro hydraulic ones

There is some good ones available at Garage Value Equipment for about £1500 - if you push them on price = but they only go down to about 7" high - so too high to park car over - Italian Made - Electro Hydraulic

http://www.valuegarageequipment.com/product/lift/

So ended up ordering from RSWorkshop Equipment a Nano 600KG - they only list Nano 500KG - from a company called LV8 - Italian - this goes down to 3 inches - so can drive car up over it.

Unfortunately more money...

http://www.rsworkshopequipment.co.uk/equipment/workbenches-lifts.php

Due in next week or 2.

There was a few other options - but all more expensive if you want the low height - Marolo

And some lower cost electro hydraulic - higher height - for about £1000 - you will find on ebay - but suspect they are made in China.

#4 Simon Audi, Jun 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Abba Skylift for me - v.nifty

6. I've got the Clarke one from Machine Mart. You can save a few £ by buying on their VAT free days.

As above, you'll wonder how you managed without one and 4 caster type wheels would be a bonus.

IMG_3489.JPG

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Was thinking of getting one of those as well for when my build progresses a little more... better for strooning tools all over I guess :)

8. The most important bit of kit for a ramp is, A mechanics stool with wheels on and a possible tray, something like this (other sellers and styles are available :) )

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mechanic-Square-Car-Bike-Garage-Workshop-Creeper-Stool-Seat/351755406793?_trksid=p2045573.c100508.m3226&_trkparms=aid=555014&algo=PL.DEFAULT&ao=1&asc=44884&meid=1a18c22020754565835188171c8b3a3b&pid=100508&rk=1&rkt=1&

Always try and buy new if possible for no other reason than it's delivered to your door, it will have a warranty and the only monkey to have fiddled with it will be you from that point forward. Lastly always try and over order on the ramps capacity, getting a ramp within a few kilos of your need is a false economy, far better to pay a few extra sheckles and a capacity much higher sets the mind at ease.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. From experience make sure that the bed is long enough and wide enough so that you can get the bike on paddock stands without being on the ramp part.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. I plan to buy one when I've finished the 900SS I'm currently building.

That may sound a bit Ar5e about face, but as the 900 is a long term thing I built a wooden bench on casters that I can move around the workshop. I should only need to get it down once with a plank.
    The added advantage of a fixed bench for a long term build is the storage you gain for parts underneath if you build it right.

After this build I should just have maintenance to do on my M900 and the 900SS (until I start another build - Don't tell Mrs Nasher) so will order a hydraulic bench. Although I'll store the wooden one somewhere for another build because of the parts storage advantage.

I've always built and worked on bikes at ground level, and can't believe I didn't go for a raised bench sooner, it's so much better in so many ways.

This is an image from a few months ago now, so the bike is less advanced than it is now, but it's the best image I have of the bench.
    For the structural engineers out there, don't worry, there is a central spine/bulkhead running lengthways through the middle of the bench for the end thirds, so it can't fold up on itself.
    New 900.jpg
    Nasher

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. I like that option Nasher I'm going to build one. What height did you settle on from the floor to bench top and would you change it at all now you've used it?

12. And ratchet strap the paddock stands to the bench too.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. I have a Bike Tek one (behind the gratuitous 1098R pic :laughing:) They are great for zooming around the garage.

IMG_3803.JPG

14. Defo :) Ignore the big hammer! :blush:

bench.JPG

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. I did it by eye at the time so will measure it later and try to get some more images to show the construction better.
    The casters have brakes on so it doesn't move about too much.

I cannot emphasize how useful the storage is to keep some parts on whilst you have the bike stripped down.

Nasher

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Do a risk assessment (god how I hate that phrase) of what can fail and what the consequences would be. Gravity can be a bitch.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Ive this one, bought it for the narrower platform and it 2016-06-21 16.44.11.jpg comes apart for storing it, Only thing is its no use for paddock stands, Was a little more expensive but worth every penny imh, Had a very similar one with the wide platform that I sold

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. I like the idea of the narrow platform, much easier to work around, but does it take a paddock stand?

I'd want to be able to have both wheels out, and maybe some way to support the bike whilst changing headstock bearings.

Nasher,

Do Not Sell My Personal Information