1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motorcycle Salvage - Shunted Bikes Etc

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Advikaz, Oct 5, 2017.

1. im considering buying a bike that’s been shunted and turning it in to a race/track bike. I really fancy a project over the winter so that’s where the idea started... also like the idea of riding something I’ve built up!

Any ideas where to look? Any advice or recommended companies ?

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  2. Give him chance - he hasn't found one yet :rolleyes:o_O

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. As below mate, this idea is in its infantcy at the moment, I’ve always liked the idea of building up my own bike from something that’s a bit broken and making it my own.

Don’t worry though, anything remotely dodgy will be avoided and I’d let the police know immediately !

I don’t want anything utterly threaders, but bodywork damage isn’t a worry, subframe possibly even forks I’d entertain. Blown engines not an issue either.

#4 Advikaz, Oct 5, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  4. Whatever you choose, it will be a money pit so I hope you have deep pockets. I don't want to look at what my 853 cost me but including the cost of the donor bike and then a factory race engine that was totally rebuilt, I'm into 5 £ figures. Choose something where spares are cheap and plentyfull and something that has scope for tuning but is robust. Gixxer 1000 is a favourite, ZX10RS are plenty full, Triumph are notoriously fragile and don't be tempted by an ex race bike. Been on 3 track days recently and there has been a dissapointed owner who didn't even get a lap in. Guy with me at Cartagena has finally given up with his new to him Gixxer 1000 ex stocker which can only fire on 2 cylinders. Looks like the Bazazz has given up the ghost. It is fun and it is rewarding when you get it on track so good luck. Andy

5. I wouldn’t mind an r6 because let’s face it, parts are silly cheap for them!

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Been looking for something along the same lines and the prices on eBay are just nuts. Prices aren't far off and sometimes more than what rough uncrashed bikes are going for.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. I've got a 2008 R1 track bike that's well specd for sale. If you want you can strip it and put it back together lol

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. @DRR117 has done a couple, may have some advice

9. Someone bought a shunted Monster from an auction, with the idea of fixing it up. Didn't bargain for this.
    20170925_163329_resized.jpg 20170925_163352_resized.jpg 20170925_163402_resized.jpg 20170925_163422_resized.jpg 20170925_163438_resized.jpg 20170925_163448_resized.jpg

20170925_163542_resized.jpg

20170925_163555_resized.jpg

10. Always,always look before you leap.

11. Did they look t it before they bought it?
    If so, it must have been a very low price with that sort of damage.

12. Dunno, was in a mates garage for repair.
    You bid by only seeing the pictures posted by the auction co.

13. tbf the pictures on sites like copart are normally very clear and comprehensive and you can normally view before hand afaik

14. I use Copart and as @bradders says I’ve had a few over the past year. I haven’t seen any in the flesh before bidding and although I expect the worst I’ve not had any major dramas. Just bought an 2008 KTM RC8 of £2600 and it only need a £10 footpeg and a £40 crash bung replacing and I took it to Cadwell. It was a riot!

It can be a bit of a lottery but well worth the gamble in my eyes. My best price of advice would be don’t spend more than the bike is worth in Parts, that way you can part it out and make your money back. Also good fun as well

• Like Like x 1
  15. Mce insurance sell on eBay. And have a big range of bikes.
    Some crap. But some desirable.
    They can be a money pit so shop with care.

16. What's their Ebay name?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information