1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motorway Service Station Fuel Prices

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Robarano, Aug 11, 2019.

1. On a trip back home from Lincolnshire today I was getting low on fuel, so pulled into Scottish Corner services with the intention of filling up. This was until I saw the price of fuel, £1.49.9 for a litre of unleded. :eek: £1.50! :mad: I usually pay around £1.26 ish these days locally.

So I drive straight through and decide to stop off at the next fuel station, although still on the A1.......£1.47. Bastards :mad: By now I need fuel, so stick £15 in to get me home (I usually always just fill the car up). When I went in to pay I decided not to take up the offer of a coffee for £4, (although to be fair, they did sell diet coke for £1.60 a can!) along with a further £3.50 for a sad looking sandwhich. :punch:

I was amazed at the amount of people brimming their tanks in this place, feeding the parasites.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. All run by Dick Turpin.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Shell stations are total theft for drinks sweets etc on all roads!

4. I sympathize completely ....
    but it's the nature of the beast .

Yes , they are "exploiting" motorists who either haven't previously filled up at regular prices , or can't carry enough fuel for their entire journey ....
    .... us bikers for example .

Other factors are in play :-

1. Customers who get fuel on expenses don't care .

2. Those motorway concessions / leases are mighty dear for the operator ....
    .... same as in airports ( Mc Donalds , Weatherspoons etc. all have heavily inflated prices compared to their High Street outlets ) .

The impulse buys such as coffee , sandwiches , sweets and such , are overcharged to the same degree .
    The punter is already in the shop so they feel that they may as well have
    " icing on the cake " .

It's interesting to see the scale of bumped-up prices on the A-roads close to motorway junctions , which are always somewhere between motorway prices and what you might find in the nearest town or large supermarket .

#5 oldtech, Aug 11, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  5. Greedy bastards, cant justify it, the profit difference must be huge,

6. Get the Waze sat nav app on your phone and it shows fuel prices near you. It’s free and also has police alerts.
    I never fill up in motorway.

• Useful Useful x 2
  7. You wouldn't think they need to overcharge, what with cloning your card when you pay...

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. That’s perks for the staff. To make up for zero hours, below minimum wage jobs

9. Ahh, no wonder they voluntarily apply for these jobs.

10. Yep, backed of course by their own gang master general

11. Yeah - always fill up before i get on the motorway to get to where im going, same again at the other end....only use the motorway service stations if i absolutely have to...

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. I have to say after viewing a bike at norfolk earlier in the year i stopped off at the M1 service station for a bite to eat and was flabbergasted at the prices,completely lost my appetite and made home PDQ for a pasta dish.

13. Try buying a full English at motorway services without applying for a mortgage.

14. Jaybus rob, you are so uncaring. There is an oil tycoon currently wincing momentarily at this thread. Then he looks over at his swathe of lambasting scantily clad hookers & pile of cocaine 3inchs high. You are just unbefuckinglivable sometimes..

15. Captive market innit

16. It isn’t captive though is it. Everyone has a choice.

I have simple solutions to this problem.

1.Avoid motorways as much as possible on a bike.

2.In a car, I do the simple thing called planning and fill before going onto the motorway. Not that difficult. The car has a massive range.

3.If I have to refuel on a motorway on a bike I just ‘splash n dash the absolute minimum’.

4.If ever I stop at a motorway stopping place, I take a piss. I don’t buy anything else, I don’t let them take the piss.

Why would anyone fully refuel their vehicle or face on a motorway? Rocket science isn’t it.

The thing that makes me laugh is the driving games they have... you get out of your car/van/lorry and go play on a driving game. I ask you.

Everyone has a choice.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Of course you are correct.......but the majority wont venture from the motorway and the suppliers know this. And that's why they do what they do.

Everyone has a choice.....................................and they chose to stay on the motorways and pay through the nose for the privilege.

18. Then they are thick aren’t they.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Jet station at Colburn £1:27 two mins off the A1 via the Catterick junction.
    Lidl next door with a bakery and loo.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information