1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Place (world) To Live +50 / Not Working - Opinion, Advice And Discussion

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by AirCon, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Couldn't agree more.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Love You Love You x 1
  2. Is that everyone or just those on a special register here?

3. How is retirement now?

4. Point B. Now that’s funny - and explains my Yorkshire neighbour....

5. Love it.... Man Bills...

6. Just spent the whole afternoon rereading this thread...
    Off to pub...
    Will post my notes later.... could be useful to other London / Southern based members.

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. Ahhhhhh!.............that explains it :D

8. Carry on as usual then:thinkingface:

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Been back in France 3 days now after visiting family for Christmas in UK.

Seeing crowded UK with traffic, road works, Brexiteers, rat race feel and bad language then getting back here.....best life decision so far :upyeah:o_O

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Being nosey - can I ask, where in France?

11. Saint Robert, Correze

12. And where in the UK? I know London is a shite hole but I've been to many other places that are really nice...

13. Looks lovely. Still warm too

14. North East, near Shotley Bridge. But we’ll travelled in England and Scotland. Find somewhere nice and when the sun comes out you have to share with hundreds of others. More to it than that though; pace of life, quality of life, climate, people etc. Nice places in Uk are expensive. Houses popping up like mushrooms. Speed limits seem to to just merge in to either 40 or worse 30mph for mile after mile. When you find a sixty some fekkker will be “driving miss Daisy”.
    Economics play a big part. Compare council tax, water rates etc. Found nice property up Dumfries and Galloway (very nice area) and overheads for said taxes rule out retirement without a big pension. Again, hols season, sunshine, can’t move...

15. Been a couple of nice days but cold at night. On average somewhat warmer than UK though!

16. Good points... being a bury my head in the sand type, ive not thought too far ahead... perhaps I should fuck off back to nz sooner rather than later... although it's not cheap there any more either...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. It's £500 cheaper per annum than Hounslow!

18. We escaped from County Durham to North Yorkshire five years ago. Our friends visit us and love it here, they all agree Durham has gone downhill over the last ten years or so.

19. I visited the UK (south) last August on the bike. The things that I noticed most were the crowded roads and the feckin cats eyes in the road surface that do not make a comfortable ride!
    I have a house on about 3 and a half acres here in the Dordogne and my council tax is around £420 a year, add in the lack of road tax on the bikes and car, and the lack of MOT on bikes, makes life a bit cheaper.

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information