1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Place (world) To Live +50 / Not Working - Opinion, Advice And Discussion

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by AirCon, Mar 1, 2018.

1. This is the area I live in and the surrounding village's have properties like this up for sale quite often. Also the small towns can give you as much civilisation as you want.

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 2
    • Love You Love You x 1
  2. Glos means cotswolds too, so lovely part of the world if a little expensive. But your budget should help

• Like Like x 1
  3. bit harsh. They have internet there you know ;) :joy::joy:

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. We don't even holiday in Europe, so moving isn't really an option for us.

5. I've told my wife I'm watching Netflix's Sex Education as it's based on where we want to move to.....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    She's not sure about some of the content... upto episode 4 so far.... lovely area.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. ok...
    Spent the day looking around.
    Didn't like Ledbury much, very quiet. Looked at one house, up hill near the police station... 12 minute walk to the pub... up hill gong home!
    SWMBO said no.

Had a swift pint and some lunch then found that estate agents in carrot crunch land don't do Saturday afternoons! Doh.

Hereford looks great and although there aren't any suitable properties on sale in town, I was shown some had sold and these looked great.
    Found a lovely place just south of Hereford (callow) that may be worth a second look.

cd4008b6ceac1cdbac03d74a4a5e1bfb558097e4.jpg 4a5284c5b11d5c75bd0a0d17e3716031f4beed43.jpg dddccc143481b0a653d5cfe7b1c19a19280fd5ff (1).jpg

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/d...h_identifier=a656380b0e2ccd52ae0ea8f8d8fc9ef0

Then on to Hay on Wye, beautiful town, albeit windy today and wet.
    This is way too quiet for me.

It's been a useful trip so far.
    Overnight in Eardisley, Ross on Wye tomorrow. ...

I've been told to avoid Leominster. ... on paper it looks OK. .. any views on this?

7. Lovely setting, shame the front wall has moved.

8. I'm not worried. I've had old property before and it looks like they've got it under control, albeit not pretty.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Our biggest problem with the money pit lovely type farmhouses was extensions.

Many of the original buildings were pre 1900's and many had no foundations because they were built on compacted land then built. When extensions were built that did have foundations, the cracks appeared quite soon depending on the moisture of the land.

When half your house moves with the land and the other half doesn't, it can be soul destroying.

Asking "when you had the extension done, did you underpin the original house and have you got the reciept to confirm it?", saw us turn down many older houses.

#530 noobie, Apr 27, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. Leominster is shite, hay is fab, if that’s too quiet for you then Crickhowell will be too , shame because it’s rather nice, maybe Abergavenny would fit the bill, some fab property just outside in the country side, has good gastropubs ( plenty of them) Ludlow is nice too, Ross is not, otherwise if it’s too quiet, plenty of more vibrant places in the Cotswolds , or Bath is fab too?

• Like Like x 1
  11. I am moving to Cheltenham this summer( already spend most of my time there because girlfriend lives there) is there a place where the locals meet on a nice summers evening for a cuppa and some bike chat @cookster ?

• Like Like x 1
  12. upload_2019-4-28_8-0-42.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 3
  13. @El Toro , hmmmm new life skills, knitting looks very peaceful, same catagory as fishing and bell ringing yes?

14. Next foray out will be mid week (not a wednesday) and take in Cheltenham, Gloucester, Cirencester and Salisbury.
    Lessons learnt..... the interweb is no substitute for going there and meeting the yokels.
    I may not be ready for full time retirement / moving.
    The Mother-in-law is NOT moving into the granny annex.... a new redline back to SWMBO!

• Drama Queen Drama Queen x 1
  15. Isn’t that the purpose of the lodge house at the gate: so you can check she’s OK when you drive in/out, or use the other gate if you want to avoid?

• Useful Useful x 1
  16. I'm now looking for a One bedroom property with numerous outbuildings and about 10 acres..... and a big gate.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Don’t forget to visit Salisbury Cathedral: “famous not just in Europe, but in the whole world. It’s famous for its 123-metre spire, it’s famous for its clock, the first one [of its kind] ever created in the world, which is still working.”

• Like Like x 1
  18. And avoid touching things lol

19. Especially discarded ladies perfume!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information