1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

V4 Mpg

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by 6274rico, Sep 20, 2021.

1. Well got my v4s multistrada in April. Iv now covered 4250 miles around the UK.
    At the start I could only manage around 38-40mpg.
    But now I'm averaging 45.6mpg
    I'm not riding flat out .but most of my rides are let's say spirited..
    Wonder if anyone else has noticed any increase or decrease as the mileage increases.

2. Kind of normal I think. Same with cars/vans etc. Less friction I guess.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. I’m not sure you’re trying hard enough, I’m sure you can get it down to mid 30’s at least.:upyeah:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Only 3K miles so far and I agree, fuel consumption is getting better, now can get 170/180 on a tank with a mix of roads and riding style. However if you really do use the available revs it will drink like a fish!!

5. just back from a Wales weekend (they have great roads and Petrol :))!
    Filled up Sunday morning for a 217 miles run home, after 70 miles of "sensible" riding the range showed as 150 miles, a tank range of 220 miles! - I did wonder if it would make it home on one tank full. Managed to get fuel in Worcester and put in 7.3 litres and knew it would be good to get home using my "normal" riding. Range showed 45 miles left when home. If (!) you can keep the revs below 7K the tank range should be close to 200 miles. :upyeah:

6. 360km range from mine so 225miles. 3500km on it, averaging 15km/litre (well, 14.9 to be precise).

7. I can see the riders on this page are of a ‘certain’ age discussing max range on a tank, how times change……..

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. When the petrol stations with fuel are few and far between it does become relevant. ;)
    "Sensible" riding - 200 miles :)
    "Not so sensible" riding - 140 miles :imp:

9. What exactly is ‘sensible’ riding?

10. Keeping the revs below the 6 -7K range

11. Thnx. Tbh it was a rhetorical question. I’m not sure I’d qualify as sensible. Well, I like to think so. But I’m 50fucking6. So I guess I may be. Dammit. It Effin creeps up on you and before you know it, you’re wearing slacks and comfortable shoes.

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. New to the V4 from the Gs1250 , managing 34 to 35 mpg , only ride for pleasure , mid / north wales area , Gods country.
    The bike is brilliant especially above 7k , likes fuel and tyres , done 1600 post run in miles (new tyres at 600 miles CTA3) and the rear is worn out , well it will be after this weekend , but what fun im having.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Just did a weekend in Normandy, V4 now has 6500 miles on her and regularly returning 42 mpg and that's with giving it beans. Mpg definitely improves with age...

• Like Like x 1
  14. It occurred to me, in a Man Maths way, I get 42mpg on pretty much every run out. Now I’ve got 170bhp and we all know (thanks to Einstein iirc) that energy cannot be created or destroyed just changed. So my 170bhp has to come from the fuel in my tank. It appears all those who complain about the ‘inadequate’ consumption are comparing it with a GS which only has 130hp. Now, assuming GS owners are using the same fuel (got to have controls in these scientific theses :laughing:) their fuel with 130bhp equates to around 45mpg (and I’m being generous here)* but as the Multi is 170/130ths more powerful than the GS, the true Multi fuel consumption is 170/130 x 42 in Mpg/bhp, or 55Mpg.

Therefore, in conclusion the Multi V4 is more fuel efficient than a GS :upyeah:.

* https://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/bmw/r_1250_gs_adventure/2019

edit: the Fuelly figures are US Mpg not Imperial MPG and as the US gallon is smaller than the UK gallon one needs to increase the Mpg figures in the Fuelly table by a factor of 1.2. So the GS does 45 x 1.2 mpg ( in proper gallons) which is 54 miles per UK gallon, which still means the V4 has better fuel consumption :upyeah::)

#14 West Cork Paul, Oct 18, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. Fuel for me is not an issue , as you say power has its cost and the fun I’m having is more important. Never not found fuel even with a fellow traveller who was only getting 90 to a tank .

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Just throwing in my pennies worth my V4 Mutt is returning 42mpg with 3.6K on the clock thats with a bit of slow and a bit of psycho :p
    My 2011 S didnt do as well on the mpg but I still miss the V2 soul. Until I open the throttle on the new beastie that is :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. I’m close to pressing the button on a new V4S and have used some “Man” maths to justify it (to myself) wife is completely on board. Coming from a GSA and latterly an RT fuel range (>300) is going to take some getting used to. MPG is not so much the issue it’s having to change attitude and remembering to fill up before I put the V4S away.

Do most people run on super unleaded ?

18. No need to run on 97/98 on the V4 - 95 (E10) is fine, not seen any real difference on mine. I try to remember to put a tank of "super" in about every 3rd or 4th tank full, no idea if that works but a mate reckons its good to do in order to keep the injectors in good condition, could be just a theory.

19. If its available I use super unleaded but like " Veetwin" says Ive not really noticed any difference.

On another subject why didn't Ducati put some sort of guard / protection in front of the coolant rads ? they get full of crap and its only a matter of time before a sharp object punctures one :confused:. As far as I can see they only have the oil rad covered in their extras parts list ..... I just don't get it grrrr !!

20. It’s difficult to find 97RON around here so use regular unleaded which in Ireland is 95RON and E5. No E10 here (yet).

Do Not Sell My Personal Information