1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mts 1200s Clutch Issue

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Jona1982, Aug 25, 2019.

1. Hi everyone. I am new to the forum but not to ducatis. Last winter I bought an Multistrada S from 2014 with 78000km, full option (as good as) and really well maintenanced at the previous owners local ducati dealer. When driving it the first few times I experienced something annoying: whilst waiting for a red traffic light, in first gear, clutch lever pressed and front brake (I was on a light hill) held, the bike started to "go".. so my clutch slowly loses its grip. Simulating at home, rear wheel off ground, I noticed the clutch lever has no resistance the first few centimeters...I tried bleeding for air, no air found. I looked for leaks along the master and slave clutch cylinders, nothing there either.. besides, the clutch fluid doesn't seem to drop so a leak seems not likely...anyone any thoughts on this? I can drive it by switching to neutral everywhere I have to hold for a moment, but I get the feeling taking off in first becomes more difficult each time...I don't trust my clutch anymore...

2. Bit unclear to me what you mean. Are you saying the clutch starts to engage with the clutch lever fully in so you a holding it back with the front brake. Clutch drag ?

3. Yes indeed. It starts to slowly engage with the clutch lever fully in. But not immediately. After about half a minute, sometimes a bit slower.

4. It's gonna need either a new master or slave cylinder. Duc. slaves have a poor reputation (and are cheaper) so replace that first. IMHO.:thinkingface:

5. Thanks for confirming. I was narrowing it down to that also. I hope it is not the master...No way that thing comes apart and can be revised by any chance?...

6. Can't get seal kits then?

7. If the slave cylinder was letting fluid through you would be losing it. so level would drop. If the master cylinder is leaking past the seal then you would not loose any fluid. Sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear.

8. Hey Steviegtr,

Better bad news that is more likely to be correct than slightly better news that would prove to be wrong...is that a fact, that the loss by the master would not be noticed by a drop in the level of the fluid? How come?

9. My 2014 multi clutch started acting up earlier this year. What I found was that by screwing in the span adjuster screw so that the bite point was further away from the bar solved it. It was as if the clutch lever needed more travel to disengage the clutch.

TB

10. Yes, if the first part of the travel does nothing, I would be looking at the span adjustment first..

11. It is actually more of the opposite: the last part of the lever seems to lose its grasp...and the hotter it gets, the more obvious it is felt I notice...

12. If you need to refurbish your master cylinder there is a seal kit part number 61041991A, Brembo part # for the kit is is 98502960 available from Ducati dealers at around £37. It fits the following 15mm master cylinders. Following is C&P from Moto Rapido
    • 2010 - 2014 Multistrada 1200/S/Touring
    • 2015 - 2017 Multistrada 1200 DVT S/Touring
    • 2018 - 2019 Multistrada 1260/S/Touring
    • 2016 - 2018 Multistrada Enduro/Pro
    • 2012 - 2015 Streetfighter 848
    • 2010 - 2013 Streetfighter/S
    Plus many other bikes, best check with the dealer before you buy it however

The piston seals wear in one location around one of the oil ways allowing fluid to bleed back past the seal under pressure when the clutch is operated or held engaged with the bike in gear,

• Useful Useful x 3
  13. Now that is another piece of very interesting information I can look into ;-). Thanks Denzil. I will need to look for it online tho, no dealer connection/trust here...

• Useful Useful x 2
  14. Thanks Denzil!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information