1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multistrada 1000 Ds Instrument Cluster.

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by marsheng, Jul 24, 2019.

1. Just bought a 2003 Multistrada 1000 DS with 28K on the clock. Very neat and tidy bike. The gods could not be too happy as when it was delivered, we had 5 days of consecutive rain !!!

Finally had a chance to take it for a spin and filled up the tank. Tried to set the trip km but the display went a bit wonky. Some of the LCD connections could not be too good. I did get a spare display with the bike. Been playing with electronics all my life so time to see if I can find the problem and opened it up.

Both displays have been opened before.
    Spare display. Serial number 550215510002 (Newer version)
    Has some water damage around the idiot lights but should clean up well with
    some isopropyl alcohol and a respray of conformal coating.

Bike display. Serial number 550215510000
    This has had a bit of work done to it. The main CPU has been changed, easily
    see as it has been hand soldered, 3 tracks have burned away and replaced by
    wires and one of the switches replaced. This switch has not been soldered
    quite correctly and possibly why the switch was not operating as smoothly as
    it should in the first place. Looks like a few other solder joints have been 'touched' up as
    well.

So are displays interchageable ? I do have the red key with the codes. Is it better to buy a new display ? Only thing is, how do I set the odometer to what it should be.

Are the 1000DS units compatible with other models?

Thanks Wallace

2. i think they where changing the clocks on them underwarrenty back in the day because of water ingress. mine was changed and i seem to remember needing to provide both keys and master before they could swap over.

3. 1000DS dash compatible with some ST3 and ST4. A couple of relevant part numbers:- 40610202D 40610201A
    I think Derek and chrisw on here know the "can" and "cannots" when it comes to dashboard reworking/disabling immobiliser etc.

4. Fixed. I'm not sure of the history of this bike, it is exJapan. After a bit of fiddeling and resoldering joints, I tested one added wire for strength and it poped right off. Resoldered it and now it all works.

3 tracks look like they were vaporised, the main CPU was replaced and several other joints have been hand soldered. Anyway here are the photos and hopefully it may help someone else.

DispFault.JPG

Processor.JPG

Wire2.JPG

Links.JPG

Processor.JPG

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. The immobiliser is built into the dash so technically they are not swappable since each dash will be 'paired' to the ECU it was first connected to when virgin. Since you can get into the dash, and if you can identify the immobiliser section, it may be possible to swap the relevant components, it has been done with a Scrambler dash. Alternatively, the immobiliser function can be disabled in the ECU so that any dash can be used with it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. New to this whole thing. Used to Carbs etc !!!!
    I have the red key and the codes. I believe I can recode the spare unit to work. Correct of not ?

• Like Like x 1
  7. When you do get them fixed and back together again, take note of the fact that the gap between top and bottom fairing will line up perfectly with the horizontal join of dash console halves, therefore when it rains, water is force fed at that joint. It may therefore be worth protecting with a bead of clear silicone, or similar, to prevent a repeat of what you're dealing with now.

8. Hi Derek. I have sent my 1000Ds ECU to have the immobiliser disabled but local ‘expert’ says this is not possible. Do you have a contact that I can send my ECU away to so that it can be sorted so any dash can be used.
    Thanks in advance
    Colin

9. I'm fairly sure it can be done. Check what @chrisw has to say about it.

10. Hi chrisw, how do I PM you on this forum?

11. Hi. I’m after having the ECU on multi strada 1000DS sorted so I can use any speedometer. Is this possible?

12. @Rixy to pm someone, click on their avatar & select 'Start a conversation'

There you go..

14. Cheers

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. Click on the avatar image next to Chris's name at the top left of his post. In the pop up box that opens clck on 'Start conversation'.

16. Use Tuner Pro SW to remove the immo .. you’ll need your ECU file in BIN format which you can get with IAWDiag free SW and some leads ... or if you have the HW103 ECU I can send you a DP Map with the immo switched off , pm with email address if you want a copy

• Useful Useful x 3
  17. Mine was a 2003 and had the clocks replaced under warranty and having them replaced was not unusual. Often water got in, got them damp and after time caused issues around damp as well as dry soldering joints.

Looking at the front of the bike head on, the part of the fairing with the screen, moves as you turn the bars and so to protect the clocks from the body gap needed, there was a rubber strip, you can see it on picture 2. It's worth having a look to see if it's still there as that was ducati's main attempt to keep the clocks dry

[​IMG]

Do Not Sell My Personal Information