1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multistrada 1000ds Instrument Failure?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Chris, Jan 13, 2021.

1. Looks like my first aircooled Multistrada has finally reached the end of the line after countless previous "saves", this time probably due to the recent bad weather. On ignition switch-on the instrument display became erratic and also not possible to engage starter, even when service light extinguished.

Fault codes have varied but 2 constant:-
    38 Can line error.
    37.2 Immobiliser Instrument Panel Serial Driver.

After bringing instrument indoors for 24 hours plus symptoms have settled down but still lots of random microprocessor clicking from instrument, ECU and relay behind ECU. I can get neutral light to display on it's own but it's no longer serving it's function - i.e. will remain on even if gear manually selected. oil pressure initial/no run display is absent and this is not due to a faulty sensor or bulb failure (lights momentarily during preliminary switch-on check) but can't rule out the whole line run of course. The tacho failed a few months ago, (link below) and no sign of corrosion or obvious faults on circuit board.

After talking to Tony (buzzer on here) recently he said he'd read that by disabling immobiliser I might still be able to get primary functions working again - i.e. starting and running normally. I would be grateful of any help or information here before calling it a day. I just got it MOT'd.

https://www.ducatiforum.co.uk/threads/749-tachometer-showing-0-at-idle.79493/page-2

2. I'm fairly sure that with the immobiliser disabled the IAW5AM will allow a start without a dash at all. You should check with @chrisw. You could then consider replacing the dash with a 3rd party one.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. From conversations I've had with ChrisW myself about my 1000SSie DS, I'm almost certain that is the case.
    He's also the guy to disable it for you by post.

Nasher.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. You mention bad weather and relay clicking. Have you renewed the coil/injector/pump relay? A 2 quid part. If not then replace it. Check your wiring. In particular the short earth fly lead to the ECU. Also check the connectors onto the battery and the bundle of earth wires onto the negative. Separating the ECU from the heat sink and cleaning also may help.
    Disabling the immo in the ECU should allow the bike to run even with no dash. I can help Re this, just PM me.
    This is a CanBus bike so the dash may not be receiving the sensor data from the ECU correctly. That info includes tacho. Check the can high and can Lo wires from the ECU to dash for damage.

#4 chrisw, Jan 13, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Thank you for all your help, I really appreciate it, off to hospital so will reply on return.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Thanks Chris,it looks like i've not been thinking laterally because, as you said, forgetting the possibly faulty connection between the two for a moment, it could be that it's the ECU partially failing all along that's been responsible for the tacho and the current problem and (possibly) nothing to do with the instrument display at all.
    I have done all the things you suggested* apart from thoroughly checking loom for continuity or the Can high/Can low wires. I've also (twice) disconnected the main loom to sub-loom plug and (reluctantly) applied switch contact cleaner as this has been the culprit before now. Just about to remove ECU and put that on a radiator.
    An interesting symptom was that, at an early stage the idiot lights flashing erratically were the oil and neutral lights, which were alternating on and off in sequence making me think something common to the two was effected, probably the live supply?

*replaced both relays with new and earthed the ECU with a jump lead. I had cleaned the heatsink/ECU body faces recently but will check again when it's off.

7. I have a loan IAW5AM ECU for fault finding use.
    Can you post the info off your ECU. The important info is under the paper labels. If you carefully peel back you will reveal the Magneti Marelli labels. I need to know what hardware version your bike uses. The number starts IAW5AM. I need to know if it ends HW103. If it does then we have a problem as these are like rocking horse droppings to get hold of.

8. yes it is HW103

9. :( Bugger. Fingers crossed that is not the ECU gone tits up. Andy

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Thanks Chris, i've just re-fitted both ECU and instrument after warming and no change from above, oil light extinguished with ignition on but not running and 37.2 and 38 Fault codes. I could check the instrument feed outputs from the ECU next but need to swat up on which pins.

11. This might help.

Attached Files:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information