1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multistrada 1200 Dvt Tyre Choice

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by Darrencrook, Aug 25, 2017.

1. Hello people. My scorpion 2 rear tyre has now gone square due to an epic ride around europe. Motorway and luggage has caused it. great tyre when new. now should I just replace the rear or can any of you give me an honest opinion of other tyres that you have tried. I have heard Avon has brought out a good tyre. but not used Avon since they stopped selling skin so soft.

didnt like PR3 as the front felt vague.

shall I stick to the original set up.

2. I'd recommend metzeler roadtec 01 but you have opened up a can of worms!

This video was linked recently also,...

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Cheers

4. I've just fitted a set of PR4 GT's they're bloody brilliant, i used to be able to ride off the edge of the scorpion rear tyre, I've got my work cut out to get them bloody Michelin men on the edges of these tyres, but all my bikes have had michelin tyres, try the pilot power 3 2CT's had them on my blade, any they where incredible

5. Thread moved and title amended to suit

6. Metzeler Z8. Good sporty road tyre with plenty of life and available at decent prices if you look around.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Delighted how Metzeler Roadtec 01's have transformed the bike. Smoother, give more confidence and much more planted than the Scorpion Trail 2's. Scorpions were good but felt sort of hard and these take the bike to a new level and I was a sceptic as had Metzelers on my K1600 and hated them. Had Pilot R4's on my RT and loved them but the Roadtecs make a bigger difference to the ride than I even hoped after reading the write-ups. Well happy. Thought about the Road 5's but saw a pair and they are slicks on the outside third of the surface. Apparently they're great but I'm a convert to the Roadtec 01's so won't be changing soon.

8. I'm about to fit a new set of tyres to my KTM 1190. Have been running Roadtec 01s as well and love them but I'm only getting 3000 miles from the rear. They also square rather easily and before they get to the wear bars they get very squirrelly and the usually superb ride turns horrible.
    I've a trip to Scotland coming up soon which will probably rack up at least that mileage so I wondered about a change. The issue is grip, wet and dry. Certainly going to need wet grip in Scotland. The Roadtecs are outstanding and I'm struggling to find an alternative that can match them, going by reviews.

Thinking about Conti Road Attack 3s. Seem highly regarded and I'm certain they will outlast the Roadtecs but all reviewers seem to have got them to let go in the dry (with a lot of provocation). They all say its very controlled and feedback is superb so you never feel you're not in control but it just doesn't happen with the 01s. Not sure what to do.

9. I went with the PR5s ... can’t fault them

10. Just done 1700 miles around Northern Spain on a new set of Bridgestone T30's.... Can't fault them, but TBH, anything is better than the shite you currently have on.

11. I would have been tempted to try the T31 but they don't make a 120/19 front.

12. I’m about (Tuesday 1st May) to have my 3rd set Scorpion 2 tyres fitted . After nearly 11K miles, so averaging 5.5k per set. The front has 1.4mm on the side and the back is screwed across the centre with wear right to to the outside edge.

I personally have not he’d a problem with them wet or dry. Although the centre of the front is still good, the side are done, the profile has gone.

There is nothing like new rubber.

I’m sure there are brands that will give longer life, but for me it’s all about the shape of the tyre, I have found these to be really predictable and stable all the way through to the end of life.
    Tyres are very, very personal and you like what you like.

For me, the OEM have done so much testing and research with various brands to suit the bike intended that these are pretty well suited.

My only other choice would be the Angel Gt, may be I would get more mileage, however if they lose their profile I would still change them even if there was 1.6mm....

13. Currently on Angel STs, next will be Angel GTs.
    Once the rear starts to square off handling on the Multi turns to ratshit.

14. I think I'm going to give the Conti Road attack 3s a try. Been googling like mad and the FJR 1300 owners club rated them ahead of the Roadtec 01 for wet grip and straightline breaking in a measured test. That's some result on a big heavy bike.

The dilemma for me is a very long A road/M-way trip. If I was riding local I'd stick with the Roadtecs because I'd never let them get squared, but I just think that the profile will be spoiled before I get to Scotland and with only 3000 miles to play with I just don't think the rear will stay the course.
    If I do I'll post up the results. If they're good for the 1190 they should be just as handy on a Multi.

15. On Road 5's. put them on 10 days ago and rode for 120+ miles.

Broke them in within 20 miles and then it rained on and off.

Brilliant.! Not a single moment anywhere. Neither in the rain nor on damp, drying roads.
    Lots of feed-back from the tyre whilst lean't over. Complete sense of security, especially in the wet.

Wet riding grip is important to me. I have a perverse sense of enjoyment riding hard in the rain.
    A hanger on from racing in the 90's.

Later, on dry roads, the feeling, whilst giving the bike a, let's say, spirited ride, was also excellent.
    The last portion of the tyre is basically slick so gave great confidence.
    On my previous PR4's, once the tyre got hot, and riding hard, you could feel squirming and block movement.
    Like tyre creep ie; grip slip, grip, slip but quite controllable but equally noticeable. That was in dry conditions.
    Never an issue in the wet.
    The Road 5 had none of that feeling. Just even stable grip all round (pun not intended!)

Turn in was a little better than the 4's but, importantly, stability at speed was much better.

But that's all I did on them!

Off to France, Belgium, then Germany this Friday (with 12 sports bikes!), so will let you know how they perform.

Hope that helps someone.

• Like Like x 2
  16. PR4's were great but didn't like the way the front went off despite having plenty of tread left. Gave the Angel GT's a go and must say that they are a very good compromise working confidently in the wet and lasting well. Currently at 4,000 miles and looking good with no hint squaring off. Should be good for Spain end May :cool:

17. I've ordered a set of Conti Road Attack 3s. Tyres are so subjective, if you don't try you don't know.
    They don't have a slick edge so it'll be interesting to see how dry grip compares to the Metzelers.
    A Scotland trip should be good test.

18. I’m not sure they do, with the occasional special like the panigale having a tyre by Pirelli. But that’s normally because there is nothing standard fit on the market, not matching the bike. It’s about best price and ease of access. I admire your resolve staying with the scorpions. Very predictable and easy tyre to ride on but can’t handle large lean angles and anything other than moderate road use IME.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. I don't know if its the same with the Multi but with the KTMs, because they're "adventure" bikes they come with trail tyres. Considering they handle like sports bikes this is completely pointless if your're never going to go off tarmac, so you're left trying to find the best road tyre for yourself. They should offer an OE option of road or trail.

The OE Conti trails on the KTM are pretty good actually, but as Bradders says, it's very easy to find the edge and they're not the nicest in the wet.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. I bought the Road Attack 3s and I just given them a fairly lively 150 mile shake down. Early days but I have to say, so far I'm very impressed. The ride is not quite as plush as the Roadtecs but its not far off and it turned out my warm pressures were too high so that'll probably improve. But what really impresses is the feedback they give and the stability. They feel incredibly planted, you're never in the slightest doubt about what's going beneath you and the 1190's long and lanky suspension felt a lot more composed than it had with the Roadtecs. And it holds a line rock solid through bends.
    Haven't tried them in the wet but in the dry they seem to be exemplary. No amount of big throttle wound in early out of bends would upset them.
    If the wet grip is halfway decent and they turn in a good mileage then I reckon I've found my new tyre.
    On the strength of these I think I'll try the Sport Attacks on the Superduke and the SF.
    So far, very good indeed.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information