1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Multistrada 1200 Fuel Filter Replacement

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by PeterT, Feb 1, 2019.

1. Right as I have done this last night I thought I will post some info. First of you have to take the panels off to gain access to the tank, it's already covered on this forum so I will skip that. Once you get to tank removal release the two quick fittings buy squashing them in, don't worry about a small amount of fuel coming out as they actually are self sealing so the entire contents of your tank won't spill IMG_2732.JPG out, also remove the fuels sender clip and the fuel pump power plug. Make a note of which quick release pipe goes where with a tie wrap.
    Next remove the fuel pump has 8mm bolts.
    IMG_2733.JPG
    Then remove the rubber skirt from the outer pump note how it fits as it has a small outlet hole, then slide the Tie wrap off the pump it's tight but easily done, the reason being why don't you just cut and replace it is because I have no fuel resistant wraps and if you used a normal one it would end up as goo in your tank!!! Next undue the two small phillips screws that hold the filter assembly in. IMG_2734.JPG
    Slide the plastic housing up, it is a little tight on the o Rings so a little force is required to reveal the filter.
    IMG_2735.JPG
    Voila! you might need to use a bit of silicone grease on the filter o rings on re-assembly as the petrol makes them very dry, pop your new filter in making sure you have the flow arrows the right way and that's it. Leave at least 4 hours for this job and while you are there doing it pop in new spark plugs as you can only access IMG_2736.JPG this when the tank is off. PS don't forget to re-use the plastic collars on the old filter, the new one does not come with them.

• Useful Useful x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Great description but I think it’s best to remind everybody that the tank should be empty before removing the pump.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Unfortunately I didn't anticipate this before I commenced, so I syphoned it out into a jerry can, because as you say it's a lot easier man handling an empty tank than one with 17 litres of fuel sloshing around. :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Cheers for sharing PeterT

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. The Mahle equivalent replacement doesn't come with them but the OEM replacement does. It also comes with replacement o-rings but only for the filter, not the one at the pump where the housing slides over it.

6. Yeah but Ducati ones are nearer £35 and I only paid a fiver

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. I know I use the Mahle ones myself :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Where did you buy the filter from?

9. Very nice write up; I have one question. I have removed the two screws to remove the “protection” cover but have not been able to remove the cover upward. How much effort is required and any “tricks” to remove it would be appreciated.

10. It's quite stiff, it gets caught on the swollen o rings that hold it in

11. Thank you for the prompt response

12. Replaced the filter this morning. Thanks for the advice; it went very well, just needed to pull harder. I ordered my oem filter from DucatiOmaha and it came with the the two filter rings and two o rings as well.

13. Hi, I have one more question; I put it all back together after replacing the filter and when I turn the bike on Imhear the fuel pump “spooling” but it never stops which leads me to believe it’s not pumping properly. All fuel lines are correctly positioned. I’m thinking that the o rings may not have seated properly when replacing the filter. Before I take it apart again, do you have any alternative suggestions. Thank you in advance for your advise.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information