1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multistrada 1200 Ignition Won't Come On

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by PikesPeakSimon, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Hi folks,

Only occasionally will the ignition come on with the active key fob.

Changed the battery, no difference, but haven't seen a low battery warning so wasn't expecting a fix.

Co-incidentally this problem arose shortly after the fuel sensor failed, which hasn't been fixed yet, but wouldn't have thought it was connected?

To make matters worse, the pin code system doesn't work either! No matter how many combination she of pressing the button, start button, etc, nothing happens. I did set my own pin a year ago so this should be active.

The battery is fully charged, and been on trickle charge.

2. Key fob battery?

3. Nope, changed it twice just in case first one was dead. Occasionally after many attempts it will start then usually displays a no key fob present symbol. I went off for a ride last weekend and the display constantly displayed no key fob so dare not stop until back home.
    Now very occasionally it starts.
    This daft button and pin code system seems to be useless too.
    I've found a 3 yr old thread of somebody in the states with same problem but no outcome posted.

4. It's one thing having the fob occasionally lose signal, require a battery (also carry spare for holiday) or placing it by the recieving antenna zone. But to have the pin system also not work is hugely worrying when reading this. Time to get it plugged into a dealer computer to locate the broken kit!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Antenna ?
    Faulty key fob ?
    Pin code a separate issue ?

6. I would say faulty handsfree unit as it should turn on by pressing the button whatever

7. I've never used the button so don't know if it has ever worked. I thought I should set a pin when I got the bike, but because I've had to read the manual to do anything with it I never worked out how to use it.
    I've tried the passive key but this doesn't do anything either so it looks like it's perhaps the hands free unit to me.

8. In your original post you say the pin system doesn't work ?
    So how do you know if you have never used the button as that is the only way it works

9. I meant I've never had cause to use it in the past, but now whatever combination of button presses nothing happens. I've tried every damn thing which is why I thought I'd send this post!

10. There is no combination of button presses on mine! You press the big button under the pull off cover only ONCE (keep it pressed until it fires up the digital display) then the screen asks you to input the pin by scrolling using the buttons on your left handlebar buttons, your correct 4 pin code will enable the START button. Mine is a 2017, so yours may be a totally different set-up, but I set mine up as soon as I got the bike home while the sales persons instructions were fresh in my mind. Hope this helps.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. This must be a Jinx !!!! I read about the key fob issues without ever having one and then low and behold, I get the same problem this guy as had! I need to put a lottery ticket on! Fortunately I had set my key code very recently and it took me two attempts to remember the code (out of my memory bank of several different codes for various things) and to my relief on the second attempt the words 'Pin Correct' came up on the dash and with one prod of the starter button she fired into life. And so she should the bike is only a few weeks old! My dash says the battery is fine in the fob, so I can only put it down to a faulty key or antenna? Late 600 mile service this Friday so I shall see what the dealer says when they plug it in. They have told me that they will see what has happened on the computer, as the fault is intermittent I would like a new key if they don't find anything else broken or loose! I shall keep you posted on what happens. Remember guys this is a brand new 2017 Pikes Peak Multistrada, so you would hope it is just a loose connection!

12. Have you checked where the alarm is earthed?

13. No, not even lifted the seat off to check the battery, as the bikes only been out of the showroom for 2 weeks. It's going in this Friday for it's 600 mile service and they are going top check for faults on the laptop, so I shall keep you posted. Love the bike though, in North Yorkshire it's a flying machine and takes to the air frequently. The roads in North Yorkshire are made for jumping! The Ohlins manual adjustable suspension is great and the brakes stonking, LOVE IT !

14. Definitely get the PIN code problem sorted, sounding like an ECU issue!!!! Ensure you find someone with the same bike as you and that they can use the pin code on their bike, then get them to input for you, that way you will be sure it isn't you pressing the wrong buttons, you never know, we are all human after all :)

15. Hi Simon I have a multistrada pikes peak and recently had same problem which only started when I fitted a quad lock wireless charging adapter and found with switched on and phone connected it blocked the signal of the key to pad so bike wouldn’t switch on as soon as I switched off quad lock adapter Everything was fine hope this helps cheers Pete

16. This is 3 years old now. Andy

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. It fooled me lol :)

18. And still the bloody bike won’t start

19. We don’t know and it’s been over 2 yeas since the OP visited the forum. Andy

20. Probably swapped it for a KTM or BMW

Do Not Sell My Personal Information