1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multistrada 1200s Engine Swop

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Greybeard, Aug 30, 2019.

1. Hello all,

New member here in need of some technical advice. I was about to buy my sons 1200S MS - but the engines has starting clanking like a bin full of spanners. After a week of digging into the engine its looking very much like big end failure. Bike is a 2010 at 27K miles. We are still investigating the problem, but after checking the cost and time of a potential rebuild, an engine swop is looking attractive.

I've read elsewhere that a 2013 twin spark will fit (with a few mods to the engine itself). Would anyone know if the same applies to the DVT engine?

Are the mounts the same - Are electrical connectors the same configuration - Will the ECU match the engine - would 2010 injectors fit / be man enough ? I suspect not, but at this stage were looking at all possibilities :>)

Any info on this much appreciated as I'm desperate to get the bugger out and running (After 40 plus years of bikes, it is the most impressive all rounder I've ever ridden - its even comfortable!)

2. The twin spark will indeed fit but although the DVT should physically fit here are many changes particularly to the electronics, engine management and wiring. I'd think that the amount of bits needed from a DVT bike to get it working would make it uneconomical. You'd be looking at an ECU, loom, BBS unit and god knows what else as well as an engine.

3. I am sure someone on here has done it.

4. Not that I know and I searched. The DVT unit physically will fit but that's it. trying to get it running with single spark electronics is a nightmare, the whole wiring loom is different, which means new dash.ECU.BBS and locks/keys ETC. Airbox is different too if I recall and so is the throttle bodies as it's fly by wire control. Cost would be beyond what the bike is worth if you went that route. Just how much damage has been done would be my first issue, as you could quite easily get it rebuilt if you want to keep the bike. Second hand single plug engines rarely come up for sale unless they have come from the 1098/1198 sports models which would fit and work, but not anything from an R as the cams are different and the fuelling is not the same.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Twin plug version from 2013 will fit and should work ok but their combustion chambers are slightly tweaked to run the two plug system, so again not sure how well it would run given a single plug as the emissions might cause the o2 sensors to get in a jiffy and cause it to run badly, maybe Tuneboy or an ECU remap might be able to dial that out but I know that no person has tried it, you could put your heads on but not sure that the pistons have been altered either so a guessing game.

6. Has @Nelson fitted dvt to a 996 frame using single inj 1098 loom/ecu??

7. Not the DVT. Used a twin spark on a 1098 loom etc. Just ran it with one plug(per head). The twin spark also has the breather gubbins on the rocker cover, I just blanked these off.
    Ran great :)

8. Thanks everyone who replied. Some quick, good feedback / links there. As suspected, the DVT would involve way too much work and the twin spark looks an almost straight swop. Now 95% certain its a big end gone so its decision time. Repair or replace. An initial look around at prices would indicate the twin spark is in high demand, being more expensive than a DVT engine. And oddly enough, someone is currently selling a knacked 2010 engine where "The rod bolts failed". Is this a known fault with them?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information