1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Multistrada Exhaust Decibel Readings

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by DarR, Nov 1, 2019.

1. How loud (or quiet) is your Multistrada 1200/1260 DVT exhaust system?
    Here's an opportunity to put numbers to your after-market system.
    Let's differentiate the good from the bad and ugly.
    To do so, we require a base-line standard such as SAE J2825.

Using the SAE J2825 methodology: the decibels are measured at an angle of 45°, same height and 20 inches from the exhaust. Idle and 2000 rpm (for a twin) and preferably in an area without resonance. For example, a stock 1260 Pikes Peak obtained the following reading with my Radio Shack Decibel Meter as shown:
    87 db at idle
    About 90db at 2000 rpm.

No sound meter? No worries, there's many sound meter apps available for both Android and iPhone.
    For your convenience, I previously calibrated the (3) free apps on my android phone to coincide with my analogue sound meter as follows:
    Sound Meter app: +10 db
    Decibel Meter app: +14 db
    Decibel X app +2 db

State what system you have installed: Cat-less, Slip-on, Full Sys, Make, Model etc.
    Keep in mind that deviation from SAE J2825 will substantially alter your results.
    The devil is in the details.
    20191031_165844.jpg 20191031_165901.jpg

#1 DarR, Nov 1, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
  2. I don't own a sound meter:bucktooth:

3. #3 DarR, Nov 1, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
  4. What's a smart phone...……...clearly smarter than me.
    I only got an I phone thingy
    If it was imperial or BA/cycle I might understand better:(

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Whitworth too?

• Drama Queen Drama Queen x 1
  7. My preference is a quieter standard exhaust that does not announce to anyone I am making progress. However there is a lot of induction roar on all the Ducatis I have had, and that works for me as that is the sound I can hear and get pleasure from. I am getting grumpy in my advancing years.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. I'm amazed that my 1260, with std exhaust, is compliant with noise regulations. Makes, IMHO, a great sound without being offensive. Perfectly happy to leave it as it is.

When I borrowed a V4s a few weeks ago the exhaust gave a great sound track except when bimbling around town at around 28-30mph in 3rd... I became eerily silent, thought the ignition had cut.

9. I became interested in sound levels a few years ago when LEO initiated a road-side testing program (linked below). I was concerned that my Monster with a de-cat SC-Project exhaust would not pass.
    Consequently, I compared its sound level "back to back" with my stock Panigale. I reasoned that if it wasn't any louder than the stock Panigale 959, I would have the legal high ground. Turns-out the Monster which is loud (97db at idle / 100db at 2000 rpm) was not any louder than the stock Panigale. Not sure about the new V4's but Panigale v-twins are loud, right off the showroom floor!
    On this note, even a stock Panigale would not pass SAE J2825. Go figure?

Municipal sound requirements by-laws
    https://www.saskatoon.ca/sites/defa...mmittees/agendas-minutes/2014/a_ex_100314.pdf

SAE J2825 Sound Test Procedure
    http://www.incefoundation.org/motorcycles/MIC.pdf

10. Dar, no idea on real sound levels (can't be arsed to test them).
    By the way, 2000rpm seems way too low. Most circuits in the UK will test at 5k rpm for a twin above 750cc.
    Our road worthiness test (MoT) doesnt measure the reading, just an assessment of whether it seems in line with what should reasonably be expected, and whether the exhaust has been modified or is standard.

Using my non-calibrated ears, My 2012 with cat bypass and Quad-D pipes is pretty loud, but not excessively. To me it is just right.
    My 2018 Enduro with bypass pipe and standard silencer is verging on excessively loud (imo). Talking to mates last week it seems the DVT in general with a cat bypass is verging on too loud.

11. Mine sounds just as I like it and how I expected a twin to sound. I know it's loud as my friend who rides behind tells me it is.

12. Hi John, SAE J2825 is the sound testing std in Canada and the US. It's actually a blessing for us Ducati owners.
    Other than idle (92db's max), it requires twins (targeting Harley's) less than 96db's at 2000 rpm and three or more cylinders at less than 100db's at 5000 rpm.
    The methodology procedure is linked in post #9
    Local tracks use different procedures. For example, ours is something like: less than 100db at 8000 rpm at 15 ft. There's also an ad-hoc measurement at a 50ft ride-by.

#12 DarR, Nov 11, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  13. As much as I like a standard for sound testing, the whole legality and enforcement of that standard flies right out the window if put under the scrutiny of the courts.
    Reason for me saying is that a stock 959/1299 Panigale would not even come close to passing this sound test.

14. Do the coppers actually stop you and measure your exhaust DB where you live?

15. There was a big fuss about the topic a few years ago when several municipalities enacted legislation.
    At that time, some areas had roadside testing by law enforcement officers such as seen in the above video from Saskatoon.
    However, I've never seen a roadside test personally. The issue just seem to have disappeared but the legislation is still there.

#15 DarR, Nov 22, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
  16. check my videos for a good example.

17. There is a touristy town in the Eastern u.s. that has a sign as you enter town. Any aftermarket exhaust is not allowed and you may be fined due to a noise ordinance.

18. You can link videos as well as have an album of images on here.

I have three image albums & one video that links to my vimeo account.

19. This is my enduro which is the same engine as the DVT though with slight gearing changes.

Sound levels shown on full decat system;

Sound levels shown after 1min with Race-system;

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  20. I may have to agree with you on that one.
    My mates followed me around northern france (only one with a Sat Nav) and they were arguing about who had to go behind me. That was a decat termi with no baffle (i was being rude on purpose )

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information