1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multistrada Gear Selector Spring

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by garyl, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Hello all. Had a great but moist run out at the weekend to Inverness. On the way back (fortunately) a spring of some kind went on the gear selector shaft.It won't return to the central position after a gear change.I had to manually move it back up or down before every gear change. Has anyone suffered this before or know which spring it is. Cheers Gary.

2. Yes, it's not an uncommon issue on Ducatis. The one on my ST4s broke at about 25,000 miles, the one on my Scrambler broke at around 1,600 miles and the broken off piece jammed the starter gears. Fortunately it was fixed under warranty.
    The spring, part no. 79910251A has been used on virtually every Ducati v-twin since the Pantah and costs about £3. Unfortunately replacing it involves removing the flywheel to get at the selector mechanism.

3. Here's a picture from the parts list. It is item 27.

Screen Shot 2016-08-08 at 09.14.01.png

• Useful Useful x 3
  4. Great job helping out Derek.

5. Cheers Derek. Fortunately for me the broken piece hasn't caused anymore damage.Now l know where to look I can set too and get it repaired. Thanks for your quick reply and help Cheers Gary.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Number 20 is also prone to breaking. Both have been superseded in recent times. If you're going to the trouble of doing one, it's worth replacing both with the latest parts.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Good tip .thanks Nelly.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information