1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Multistrada Ignition Problem

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by John Bower, Mar 18, 2019.

1. Hi All,
    just joined a couple of weeks ago, just wondering if anyone can help advise. Recently I've experienced problems getting the ignition to come on. I have the key on a lanyard around my neck, the bike is a 2015 1200S.
    After looking on youtube, there's a few videos with what appears to be the same issue but no solutions, one where placing the key close to, or under the dash it comes on.

I've tried this and it worked in a fashion. Once it comes on, switching on and off it works ok with the key around my neck again. It seems like a signal issue, I'm concerned its the antenna in the key fob. Anyone had same issue? anyone had to purchase a new key and had it programmed? what is the approximate cost?
    Your thoughts, ideas, solutions would be much appreciated.

Regards..... John.

2. I have a defective key fob that Ducati refused to replace. It eats batteries once a month. I experience your issue when a battery is needed. I purchase the batteries in bulk and carry a couple of spares.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Thanks Hawkster, I didn't want to change battery until I got warning light on dash. However, I'll try it just to see what happens, I'll post outcome.

Regards.... john.

4. What year is the bike? If it's a DVT, have your vin checked by your dealer for a possible technical update to the key fob. If it helps, PM me the VIN and i'll check for you.

• Useful Useful x 3
  5. I've had problems with my DVT not starting when I have the key in the same pocket as my phone. Once I put the key and phone in separate pockets then no worries.

I think it's the NFC on the phone that causes the problem.

6. It's sort of hit and miss for me on the low battery indicator. Sometimes it shows early on and sometimes after I have problems.

7. Almost definitely the battery needs replacing. It's a simple job and then you'll know if there is more to it. If you had to replace/reprogrammed the key it will cost you north of 100 quid. I know because I have twice :)mad:) left my key in a pocket of my jacket when I put it through the washing machine.

8. You will not get a warning on the dash necessarily. Mine died. Had to revert to Pin procedure to start the bike. Changed key battery and all was well. Ps. There is a Ducati directive to replace all dvt 1200 keyfobs. Did mine.

9. Dear All,
    Just to give you an update. I've changed the battery in the key fob and dare I say seems to be ok. I've now tried the ignition on 3 separate occasions, works fine, long may it continue!!
    Many thanks for all your thoughts and help it very much appreciated. I had visions of contacting dealer tomorrow.

Regards..... John.

10. Still worth contacting the dealer , as the fobs have been part of a technical recall. You get a new fob with a reset button inside it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. If none of the above then check the 4 pin plug coming off the ignition coil for arc corrosion.

12. Hi all,
    With a little help from our friend nelly. Be in touch with M&S Newcastle, they have ordered part (key) will contact me when it arrives. Need to take red key and bike to programme it.
    Good result and all thanks to this group, mhch appreciated.

John.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Is that just DVT fobs or skyhook 2013 to?

14. My dealer has done the key recall, but the key looks no different, and when I open it up, there is no reset button visible

Can someone confirm that there's is different after the update

15. Key looks like this

63C47E9A-03EC-4E61-BE9E-98192D728017.jpeg

16. Make sure you add your own PIN code / procedure under the ignition cover lark. Very handy if you ride off wearing a jacket which hasn't got you're keys in..

• Like Like x 1
  17. Mine looks nothing like that, thanks for posting pic

Back to the dealer again!

18. Yes, happened to me after just purchasing the bike. At local bike get together. Realized I had no fob when leaving. The Harley guys were impressed I started the bike with no key.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information