1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Multistrada Oe Topbox Service

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by John W, May 21, 2019.

1. Hi all.
    I've had my top box since 2010, and it gets used quite a bit.
    I noticed a few years back it was rattling on the mounting plate, so bought a new plate.
    A few years on and its rattling again, but the plate is not worn much, so I stripped the mechanism to give it a clean and check.
    The metal latch looked fine, but showed a little wear (or so I thought).

Ducati don't offer any spare parts for these, so I went on a trawl of the givi parts diagrams. It turns out pretty much all the parts are standard givi parts from other boxes.
    The metal latch looked the same as givi part Z106, so I bought one, and am pleased to say it is the right part and an easy swap.
    Pictures below of old and new. Note the wear to the top side of the latch.
    Hopefully this info will help someone with a similar rattly topbox :)
    Oh, the part itself is about 10 quid.

20190521_215604.jpg

20190521_215632.jpg

20190521_215705.jpg

• Useful Useful x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. I take it the one on the left is the original but if it is wear on the Right hand one, I am surprised it worked in the first place, they look completely different

[​IMG]

3. yes agree they look totally different, why have you left your top box on for so long? That is the question?:p

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Yes, its wear on the right hand one.
    Basically the base plate is made of nylon, and the upstand where the latch goes into is hollow, not solid. Therefore the edge of the plastic upstand wears the face of the latch tongue. Hope that makes sense ?
    That consequently means there is a bit of play between the edge of the plastic upstand and the now worn down latch.

I do agree they look slightly different, in that the latch ramp on the left one comes to a point, and its squared off on the older one. It fits in the box though and works ok.

Its not on all the time Peter, just for every trip we do (wife feels secure with the topbox behind her, less likely to fly off the back ;) ). We do go on a lot of trips though :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. @John W - thanks for the heads up. Just checked the latch on my Ducati top case and it was fine.

I did replaced the 4 rubber grommets in the top case rack (Givi part number Z126) as I thought the case was rocking too much and it helped resolve this problem. I paid the princely sum of £2.99 (with free delivery) back in March but they seem to to be a bit more expensive now (e.g. £4.45 on Amazon, from one supplier).
    [​IMG]

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. Hi Steveb, yes I've replaced them I carry spares as they have a tendancy to coming out.

Ours gets used a lot, and it is often pretty full, so that may have contributed to the wear.
    You cant see how worn it is until you remove the lock mechanism and the latch plate.

7. Yeap I found that out and it took a while as I cleaned and lubed all the parts.

• Like Like x 1
  8. My top box is also 10 years old and on it 4th Multi ! It did rattle a bit and I thought it had worn the two lugs at the front. Today I took the lock unit out and had a look at the catch. Worn but no too bad really, packed with tape and new latch block on order.
    Thanks John W a good tip and not one I would have thought about.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information