1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multistrada Specific Gps Alternatives

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by DarR, Jun 17, 2019.

1. I think the best GPS for your Multistrada may be the one you prefer or even already own. If you already have a car GPS, try using it. Plenty of Ram-Mount cradles and mounting brackets available such as Iconic, Navihalter and Engimoto for just about any GPS on the market. Consequently, for me, I want to multi-use to ones I have. Moreover, I want a small unit for the bikes that does not look like a brick on top of the Multistrada's display or on my handlebars.
    20190520_194323-c.jpg Screenshot from 2019-06-16 10:25:46.png

About value:
    IMHO, I think the Garmin Zumo GPS offers very little value for the price. It's biggest feature is waterproofing. If you're in the market for a new GPS, Do you need it to be waterproof? I don't personally ride in the rain. If I get caught in a downpour,I will put the GPS in my pocket. Alternatively,cheap waterproof transparent pouches are available on ebay. My personal favorite is a zip-lock sandwich bag as a backup.

However, if you really need a waterproof Garmin, I'd look at the feature rich Montana line that's in the same price range as the Zumo. It's very portable for on and off-the-bike as you can install all kinds of maps such Bluecharts for your boat, Topo, cycling trails, endless custom waypoints, PoI, routes and other stuff available on the net.

All this to say that I'm not dissing the Zumo as it has a few bike specific features but only to suggest that you consider alternatives at your disposal before spending a king's ransom on a new single purpose unit for your bike.

2. GPS’s aren’t just multistrada specific are they? Or do you know different?

3. In this case, Yes, as the brackets are Multistrada specific. That's why I posted it in the Multistrada section.
    Moreover, I have yet to see a thick as a brick Zumo on a Panigale or any other Ducati. Unlike the Multistrada, those bikes just don't have the real estate to park such a big unit. I don't believe this thread should have been moved and would have more traction and benefit for Multistrada riders. I would have appreciated being solicited for my opinion off-line before moving my thread to this section.

#3 DarR, Jun 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  4. C6B56B4D-B7C1-489A-B3D5-2A0572ADA42B.jpeg I use Nuvi 1490s. I get them on eBay for ~$40 USD. Got 2 so I’d have a spare but have yet to break the 1st one. I’ve rode in torrential rain and sprayed it at the car wash. Still going. And the older models a
    Have pressure touchscreens so I can use gloves. RAM mount was like $13. Attached to navihalter. 12VDC adapter was also about $10 on eBay. So for what $65 I have a unit I don’t worry about anyone stealing. Don’t worry about breaking, can see in direct sunlight and I don’t have to wrestle phone Nav apps, none of which have worked as good as the Garmin. It does not link to my Sena headset via Bluetooth but that’s never been an issue for me personally.

I even made my own “splash” screen it starts up with.

I’d like a 595LM but my rig at a 12th the cost works well for me.

And to the OPs point, it’s the same model I use in my car, too. I still prefer the older Garmin graphics. High contrast colors much easier for my old eyes to see without glasses :)

5. Have to agree with OP's point; The Multi is pretty much the only model I see anyone adding GPS's to.

6. Car ones are not waterproof, fair-weather riders.

7. Agree, but I'm been brutal to my 1490, still ticking. Really it's weak point is the USB connector. even that is doing OK.

8. What’s the resistance to using Waze on a phone?

9. On my recent trip to Italy, in our group, there were three Monsters, three Diavels, three Supersports, two Hyperstrada, a Scrambler Cafe Racer, a Desert Sled and even a Panigale V4S with GPS’s fitted.

10. The point of this thread is "GPS Alternatives", and most specifically Garmin Zumo. I highly doubt a Panigale was fitted with one.
    What GPS models were they all fitted with?

11. I didn’t do a survey but I think most were TomTom

And so you’d be wrong then. It had a RAM ball mount in the centre.

12. I wrote: "most specifically Garmin Zumo. I highly doubt a Panigale was fitted with one."

13. Oh we are playing word games are we..........well if you read what I wrote (quoted below), I stated that a Panigale was fitted with a GPS system.

14. Unbelievable :rolleyes:
    The point of this thread was to outline GPS alternatives to the Zumo.
    I've put a GPS on both my Panigale and Monster but not a brick size Zumo.
    IMG_20161017_170841-1.jpg IMG_20160603_115439.jpg

#14 DarR, Jun 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
  15. Because Waze is point to point only. It's "job" is to get you from point to point the fastest way possible. Most of my routes have 30+ waypoints. And are definitely NOT the fastest way. So if you are going point to point only, then Waze if OK, albeit a little slow on turn warnings. But it may keep you out of a traffic jam in the city. For me, I'm going on sometimes complicated pre-planned "better" roads for fun, not point to point.

• Like Like x 1
  16. CoPilot will work for you. My touring buddy has used it for years; multi point route plotting and works well. Maps are on-board so no data charges. ITN Converter can be used for route planning though they have recently dropped Google Mapping which is a shame. I think Google changed the way they did things and were demanding large amounts of cash. You can still use ITN Converter though, it's also useful for (as the name implies) converting routes from other formats.

17. MyRouteapp.com works for me. And has google maps as well as about every other one as well.

18. I have the zumo 395 which is not large at all. If your talking money then the cheap £65 Chinese pile of crap ones are actually very good & the maps are superb. You even get a little sun hood for them. & yes the screen is the best I have tried. Result. Vario 1.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  19. What mount is that?

20. It's the navihalter. Fitted at ducati when bought

• Thanks Thanks x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information