1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1100 Multistrada To 1100?

Discussion in 'Scrambler' started by Lord Farquaad, May 25, 2020.

1. Hi, I’ve had a Multistrada 1200 for 4 years and fancy a change. A Monster 1200 seems an obvious replacement but I love the look of the 1100 Sport Pro.
    I use my Mutley to commute through a city most days, 16 miles each way. Plus day long rides around North Wales.
    I want something lighter than the Mutley, slightly softer, but worry the 1100 will be too much of a performance drop.
    Anyone moved from a Mutley and have some experience?

2. I went from a 1200 multi to an 1100 monster and found the monster much more fun and with the added bonus that it doesn't encourage you into 3 figure speeds in the same way. I should add that I only had the multi a short while as I just didn't gel with it.
    I'm sure the scrambler will be great but if you are worried about the drop in performance then rent a scooter for a month before riding the scrambler, that will make it feel like a rocket.

3. One of my reasons for going “naked” is to slow down slightly. The Multistrada is devastatingly quick across any road. Soaks up road imperfections and handles well.
    But it’s too good.
    I’m hardly trying, and my riding mates can’t keep up. So I either slow down and have less fun, or have to stop to wait for them.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. There is a lot to be said for vehicles that are fun at lower speeds, think citroen 2cv rolling round the bends at 50mph with the roof rolled back and a gitanes on the go.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
  5. Hmm, I’m selling a very nice M1200 if you decide to go that way :), it’s in the bikes for sale section as of this morning, not for sale anywhere else.

6. Try riding on Urbon mode, that is 100hp which is probably less than the Monster makes. If your friends can't keep up, find some new friends to ride with :joy: Andy

#6 Android853sp, May 25, 2020
    Last edited: May 25, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. I haven’t missed the 150bhp stomp of the multi.
    Now on a 23 year old 900ss and loving it!

• Like Like x 5
  8. Yes, I’m hoping less is more. Whilst I’m not quite willing to get an RGV250 I think I’m missing out on fun.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. From memory you have a 900 monster and 900ss, I take it you are not selling those. What has prompted you to sell the 1200?
    I did similar last year, my 1200 monster was astoundingly capable but way more than I need and not quite as engaging as my S2R1000.

10. I don’t know if it’s an age or experience thing, but engaging captures it exactly for me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Why not just go test ride one ?? Too obvious ?? :thinkingface:

12. There is something about those older 2 valve bikes that makes me mentally pat them and say we'll done when I get off after a ride.
    I wonder how Swiss Tony would have said that?
    The 1200 multi and 1200 monster I owned were both better in every measurable way but sometimes less is more.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Don’t know probably something along the lines of it being like making love to a beautiful woman!
    :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. A test ride can be deceptive. I was looking for someone who had made the move and could offer long term feedback.
    I’ll definitely try them anyway.

15. have you tried taking the Multi out and just taking it easy? They’re very happy to lollop along...

16. My lolloping along pace on the Multistrada is brisk.
    Don’t get me wrong, I could easily keep it and try to slow, but I fancy a change. The question is more “is the 1100 enough of a bike to satisfy if you’ve had 150bhp under you for a while”?. I suppose everyone is different. Just looking for anyone who has, to see what they think, further down the line.

17. TBH the 800 Scrambler is enough of a hoot if you fancy a bit of giant-slaying. Most litre bikes are more than their owners can actually handle... sure they can ride them fast but in terms of whether its the rider or the bike that reaches its limit first I’d wager it’s normally the rider. :)

It’s about mindset, do you want to have a bike that you have to work with in order to maintain a brisk pace and think carefully about maintaining momentum or something you can just open the taps and reel the horizon in with?

The MTS does a good job of eating dreadful roads up, so as well as the power it is worth thinking about what you’ll be giving up in terms of road manners and handling. MTS is a jolly good bike though. Scrambler is too... but it’s a different game. 1100 Scrambler with Ohlins should be a good bit of fun, see if a dealer can fix you up with a test ride and take it from there?

18. I'm considering swapping my multi1260s for a scrambler 1100. I took an icon 800 out while the multi was in for a service last week and loved it I easily kept up with my mates XR1000 on the back roads. Im definitely going to book a demo on the 1100 as they look great and the extra oomph over the 800 will be less of a drop from the multi. As has been said, the multi is great at everything, but the scrambler was a revelation in the fun factor

19. 900ss is the best handling bike on the medium long twisties. One ride up a mountains near Sort in Spain will live in my memories for ever. 100% flat out and not a bother.

• Like Like x 3
  20. I was out on my 800 scrambler yesterday, on country lanes for approx 60 miles, great ride, it’s more than fast enough, faster than I remembered tbh, and left me wanting a more powerful front brake a couple of times!, you just need to use the revs, I had gotten out of practice of doing that due to riding my M1200, I’d almost go as far as saying it’s quick! :)

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information