1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multistrada V4s - Great Bike But.....

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Brian Jilley, Jul 4, 2022.

1. After completing 2500 miles on my multistrada V4S since mid March 2022, I am completely enjoying the experience so far.

The bike has been used around town, off road at this years ABR and handled the motorways and single tracks of Wales with ease. However the bike is let down by Sygic, locally the app appeared to work fine but on a long trip the constant freezing and frankly faulty navigation was unreliable and frankly a distraction.

I’ve resulted in using Waze whilst connecting my phone via Ducati connect to control music and calls etc. Which sadly means that I have to listen to instructions as opposed to following a map, not ideal but a solution of sorts…

The other alternative is of course to purchase a Garmin, but surely Ducati can fix and provide a better solution.

5607D564-1A1D-4F29-90FE-18A693DD5EDA_1_105_c.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  2. Good luck with that. Not convinced the decision to extend the Ducati partnership with Sygic for the US market to the European market was fully thought through. Seems to me it was taken by someone who doesn’t understand that motorcyclists touring around Europe and the UK rarely want to go from A to B by the shortest/quickest route. If you want the ability to create routes, IME, you need a dedicated GPS SatNav. Andy

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Hello Brian. Good advice from Android best to have a dedicated SatNav like Garmin or Tom Tom Rider.

4. The V4 drank 50% more fuel when ridden side by side with my V2 and I was two up, the V4 was solo!

• Useful Useful x 2
  5. A respectable idea, poorly executed. Not having seen this working in action, how much of the screen real estate does the Sygic app take up? Guessing that it compromises the view of instrumentation in some way. Having a dedicated GPS is far more flexible, has it's own screen and so long as you're willing to put the work in plotting complex routes is a reality using the likes of MyRouteApp.

My current bike, 1260 Multistrada, and my previous one, had phone app connectivity that promised quite a bit but frankly failed to deliver in a reliable or useful manner. I use my Garmin XT as a comms hub and occasionally, on long motorway stints, as a music player. It's obviously also an accomplished and fully functional navigation device.

6. welcome brian_jilley'

7. Another V4 Multistrada rider with a Zumo XT here. When Apple CarPlay appears, that’ll be the day I ditch the Garmin.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. I’m completely in agreement with the first post, I gave up and bought a Garmin XT. I put up with Sygic for 1500 miles before buying the Garmin, which I’m very happy with. The only weakness is the iconic mount, it maybe the best on the market but it’s too flexible and as a result the SatNav often vibrates. There’s probably a way to improve it, but I haven’t had time to investigate properly.

9. On a tangent, I had the Evotech handlebar mount, as I don't use the nav often, but decided to try a tank bag so now ordered the OEM high level mount, as the Zumo will be obscured. Not heard too many complaints of wobbling, but that would do my head right in.

10. I’ve not noticed mine wobbling at all. I’ve also not noticed the clocks on my V2SF wobbling, which some road testers reported, so maybe I’m too busy watching the road ahead!

11. If its like the 1260 the wobbling is down to the way the screen adjustment mechanism works and not really a issue with the design of the mount itself. Any brand of mount that attaches in the same way will vibrate.

However, when upgrading from my previous 590 Zumo to the XT things improved due, I'm certain, to the lighter weight of the new model GPS.

#12 Bumpkin, Jul 5, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2022
  12. Welcome into our mad house

14. Thanks for your comments, have bit the bullet and opted for a Garmin following another frustrating ride….

• Like Like x 1
  15. Many owners of BMWs, Triumphs and KTMs complain of difficulty in using the bike connected apps and have simply given up. I am one of those and just use a phone on the bars.

16. I made a brief attempt at using the screen gps but given the faff you have to go through just to get my iPhone to connect I knew it would be a pointless excercise, it’s the app equivalent of standing on one leg while patting your head & rubbing your stomach! If they can’t get the software to auto connect once Bluetooth comms are established whilst running in the background like all CarPlay apps can, Garmin apps can etc then they aren’t playing in the right sandpit. Ps my attempts were doomed when the app/screen kept disconnecting & that was before trying to get Sygic to navigate somewhere using the screen .

17. Evotech behind the screen mount and Garmin XT everytime

18. Have this set up and completely agree , Evotech have nailed the design and it looks part of the bike...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. the frustrating thing with my xdaivel bluetooth is that it all seems to connect to the bike ok, but although I can hear/see the phone ringing, I still can't answer it, which probably isn't a bad thing.....
    On the subject of sat nav, this might be old news but if you're planning a decent journey abroad, try motorcycle diaries website, they are amazing when planning your route, especially if you want to use the back roads a bit more
    https://motorcycle-diaries.com/en

Do Not Sell My Personal Information