1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MV Agusta F4 750

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by Bugz Ducati, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Hello all, (sorry if Ive posted this in the wrong section)

I am thinking of buying a second bike, a MV Agusta F4 750 ad would like your knowledgeable advice about owning a MV F4 7450.

Firstly, what are the common problems and issues to look out for on the bike?

Secondly, are they expensive to maintain? Ive tried to google for servicing schedules, but haven't found anything.

Thirdly, what is the service schedule like? i.e miles/ years etc.

Fourthly, is there anything else I should consider about owning a F4 750?

Finally, are the good to own?

I would not be doing many miles on the bike, maximum 2000 a year.

Thanks in advance for all you advice.

2. Get the latest model you can. 2003/2004 the evo 3. They can get warm in slow moving traffic. Most of the problems thst you hear about relate to the 1000cc+ models such as getting extremely hot enough to melt the plastic fans and rear hub failure. Check the cush drive by moving the sprocket back and forth there should be no movement. Replace them with ducati ones from a 916. Get a quick change rear sprocket if it doesn't have one. My Talon one was cheaper thsn axstandard replacement. There is not a lot wrong with the last variation of the 750. They are more of a stretch than a 916 more uncomfortable at slow speed.had mine 10yrs now

• Like Like x 1
  3. I had a y plate special edition dimantee version.

Servicing etc was ok. But was an early 750 and I found it slow and hard work to keep up with other riders unless it was screaming.

I'm not a very good rider to have a bike like that. Need a torquey engine for me. But the bike was beautiful even to look at and always got people asking about it.

Ild buy another when my monster sells. But want to buy another s1 rs instead of having a bike now.

4. +1 on the above. I had one as a second bike on a Y plate. Great bike, and kept it for a couple of years. I wouldnt say it was as uncomfortable as the 916 at low speeds, but i did have adjustable rear sets, and it all depends on whether you tend to carry a lot of weight on your wrists.
    They all over heat. Its common to see heat cracks in the lower left side of the bellypan where the hoses touch. A common mod too, is to move the rear reservoir under the seat as it sits next to the exhaust and boils.
    Theres not much grunt below 8k rpm, but it screams like a 600. I had no problem keeping up with guys on larger machines.They have a very mechanical feel rather like Ducatis (unlike jap il4's), with very similar steering characteristics and the earlier models are exquisitely built with an incomprehensible level of detail.
    A very common issue on the 750 is cam lobe scoring, similar to the rocker issues on the desmo quattro engine, however this is not an issue and does not affect the performance or reliability of the bike. if you go onto the mv forums, there are links to some great sites that have very specific detail on these issues.
    Service costs are the same as any il4 in my experience. MV's tend to be much lower mileages although, personally i wouldnt be put off by a higher example if the price was right. the engines are bullet proof.
    They are also an upgrade money pit too if you fancy throwing bling and carbon at it, and they are so much more beautiful than anything that has ever rolled out of a japanese factory.

5. mvagusta.net | the definitive mv agusta motorcycle source

This is one of the biggest forums as mentioned by Funky who if I remeber has a low opinion of it from one of his previous posts or more to the point some of the people on it. I agree with him to a point. Its mainly Yanks and Ausies. There is some good info on there

6. If you can afford it. The later O2 onwards evo model is the best 750.

Ild have another. But ild have a tho. As I need the torque lol.

7. higgy is right..its an informative forum, but i found it full of tossers. i went out for a group ride once (never again), and they were a bunch of loathsome, arrogant dickheads..everyone of them...but hey ho...doesnt stop the bike being cool..
    i dont rate the MV as much as Ducati, although i think theyre better made, but its a very personal thing..this time when i wanted a second bike i bought a 1098 Tricolore as the ducati-itis can never be cured. i may have another one in the future who knows, but the bike i will never sell is my 916.

8. Hub bearings, they are not fit for purpose, chain tension and hub pinch bolt torque is critical for their survival Mine used to stall on a closed throttle, i.e. coasting to junctions. Throttle very snatchy, but you get used to it.

9. Thanks for the link to that Mv agusta.net

I must say at first glance it looks a very interesting site.In fact id go as far as to say its a lot more interesting than this forum for ducatis.Just clicked halfway through the F4 gallery thread.Jesus H Christ them are some nice fecking bikes on there.Lots of modders like me by the looks of it.That red and silver mv with the gas ohlins forks and magnesium swingarm had me drooling as did many others.Ducati fucked up there with designer jumping to MV and Terblanche taking the reins for the 999.I like his hypermotard though.

The mv agusta f4 is as timeless looking as the 916 and that's a big statement coming from me.Well it would as its very similar to the 916 just tweeked in all the right places.MV almost reminds me of what Ducati was like not so long back ie drop dead gorgeous superbikes and nakeds and that's it.

#9 matt#corse, Oct 29, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  10. Moved to Other Bikes :smile:

11. yes i forgot about the hub bearings..Italian engineers, particularly MV engineers seem to have an aversion to grease....oh, and its worth noting that the rear hub bolt is a reverse thread, and is very,very,very,very,very tight...you will not be able to remove it on your own..i had to remove my rear wheel a few times and it always had to go to the garage, and it always took a couple of us with a breaker nbar and a length of scaffold tube to get it off again.
    regarding the snatchy throttle, i read other peoples comments about that, but mine had a power commander so i never had that experience...sounds like it may be good mod.
    The MV is a gorgeous bike, and Ducati did drop a bollock by letting Tambo leave...the only thing i dont like and have never liked about the MV is the single front headlight...i think it really spoils the looks of the thing...
    As wonderful as it sounds, nothing can beat a Ducati roar!!

Ducati 1098s and Mv Agusta f4 1000 - YouTube

• Like Like x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  12. I must admit in the video the 1098 sounds ALOT better than the MV.A big part of the experience is the sound of the duke and that v twin old school grunter of a engine.

MV Agusta looks loverly and wouldn't mind a 1078 RR but when push comes to shove im pretty certain id take the 999R Xerox or 1098S option over a IL4 anyday.

Dukes eh they are more addictive than crack.

#14 matt#corse, Oct 31, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
  13. I must be in the minority, but I don't see the beauty of the MVs. Yes they look nice, but IMO they're not the prettiest bikes ever made

14. Shud have gone to specsavers

15. I agree the Ductai sounds brill; but check this Video, it reminds me of the sound of the YZF750's and ZXR's in BSB in the late 90's, just sounds lovely. Would deffo have a MV and it would be the 750 as I see it as the 'original'. My dad nearly traded his GSXR600 for one about 7-8 years ago and now says it's his biggest regret not getting one.

Anyway, check this out:

MV AGUSTA F4-750 MOTO CORSE Evoluzione-Exhaust Sound - YouTube

16. MV.jpg

Here's a picture of my MVF41000R, I sold her a couple of years ago :mad: I love these bikes, to me they are the most sexy bike ever designed. Having worked selling these bikes for the original importer 3X for 5 years I learnt a enough about them. From design, development & ride they are truly a beautiful machine.

Sorry if these have already been mentioned but these are the key things to look out for:

Hub bearing: these tend to fail if the swingarm pinch bolts haven't been torqued the the correct settings.

Radiators: The 1000R 312R 312RR suffered radiators splitting, the former importer MotoGB did some warranty repairs so check this has been done.

Heat: the 1000's did get very hot so the best mod is to fit metal rad fans and use engine ice coolant.

De-cat: the euro2 1000R had a three section exhaust so this was an easy replacement however euro3 08+ 1000R 312R 312RR had a two section exhaust, I managed to get mine removed as it was a euro3 by a company who cut the cat out. This helps with keeping the bike cool. I also fitted RG3's and a race ECU this also helped with the heat. Don't bother fitting a powercommander these just fuck the PS and will make the bike hunt terribly.

So to be honest there aren't too many issues with them.

Servicing is every 4000 miles ONLY they don't need to be serviced annually. Cagiva/MV said the valve clearance should be carried out at the 1st service but 3X never had any problems for the 1st few years doing this service so it was up to the owner if they wanted to pay the extra to have them looked at/done.

For the money you can pick up a very clean 1000R 312R for not much more than a 750, I would go for a 1000 because they have a lot more parts for the money, for instance they have radial brembo's & forged merchancini wheels.

However if it's a 750 you really want then go for an EVO3 or an SR, the SR's are the most powerful of the 750's as these were going to be used as AGO's but MV decided to use the 1000CC engine instead. You will notice on the SR's their clocks still have AGO on the white dash where the other 750's have a yellow dash.

I'll have another one day but it's a 1098/899 for me next year :upyeah: though an F3800 is also on the list of possibilities.

CC

MV.jpg

#18 Conquest Racing Ltd, Nov 1, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  17. I bought a motor from an SPR with only 2380 miles on it. Its the same as the SR. A lot more horses than the earlier 750 and a close ratio gearbox.
    Its a different bike and a lot better than the EVO 2 motor

18. 2027.jpg samsung Photos 039.jpg

I've posted these before but I will do it again.

get yer wallet out and buy one you won't regret it

By the way one thing not mentioned yet they are noisy mechanically compared to Japanese IL4. Quiet compared to a Ducati though

2027.jpg

samsung Photos 039.jpg

Do Not Sell My Personal Information