1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

848 My 1st Ducati

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Ash Hussain, Mar 18, 2019.

1. hello chaps.
    Have had my 848 for about 2 days now. It’s my 1st Ducati, coming from a host of R1s.
    Quick question, when I start it, the engine turnover is somewhat ‘lazy’. It’s the best way I can describe it. Lol. Sounds as if it’s struggling to start... turns over for about 3-4seconds and fires up. (Cold start)
    Is that a ‘feature’?
    The R1s I’ve had were pretty quick turning over and firing up. Within a second or two.

Thanks guys.

2. Ash, welcome

They all do that. Big pistons. :) @Exige on this forum does a starter cable mod for it which will ease your concerns.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Yep, they all do that sir...........coming from a JIL4 you really notice the difference

4. Welcome along , the noise is worthwhile when they get going:upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Thanks chaps. Feel at ease now. Defo a huge difference.
    Just reading other forums and it says a bigger/powerful battery can be purchased to ‘speed’ the starting up.
    Is this true?

Sorry if I’m sounding silly.

6. As above, get the cables, but a good battery fully charged is also important. Get an Optimate if you don't have one.

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Thanks mate. The guy threw in a trickle charger thingy.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Later 1198SP's and 1098R's had a larger battery that helps, you have to remove some packers for it to fit - but the restriction is in your Starter Cables from new, and they deteriorate with age :)

YTX-14 BS is the Yuasa battery upgrade.
    Some fit Lithium, some who do set alight there Reg / Recs if not upgraded and re positioned also.

9. Enjoy there addictive

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. @Ash Hussain

Get the cables from Exige, the big twins really need the extra help turning over. I had all manner of problems with my 1198 and batteries, starters, reg/rec, the lot. The cables really help.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. I still think the battery is dead for a split second every time I start it, but it has never failed to start, even when my old battery was on the way out. It’s just how they are. It’s not a v-twin thing particularly as my KTM 950 is very eager on the starter. Enjoy the bike, they are great!

• Like Like x 1
  12. I also am coming from an R1 and all inline 4's, and the starting on this definitely took me off guard as well lol

• Like Like x 1
  13. Lol. Had it a couple of weeks now, still worries me now and then. Lol.

14. Enjoy the italian way,not sure about other folks with their steeds,but i feel like a million dollars when i'm on mine:):upyeah:

• Like Like x 2
  15. You’re right. At fuel stations. Office car park etc I’m constantly asked if they can take a photo.
    Absolutely love it!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Or other car drivers chasing/stalking you down the highway into a stop area LOL:):upyeah:

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Like the other guys said, get one of Exige's cable kits.
    Makes all the difference.
    Best money I've spent on my 999.
    Team up one of these kits with one of the bigger batteries, preferably a Yuasa from Halfords, bought with your forum discount (like your cable kit) and your starting will be transformed.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Will defo be doing this.
    This month has been rather expensive. 2 New bikes and insurances. (A 125 for my nephew and £1,080 for his insurance. Ouch)

• Like Like x 1
  19. This will be an investment, not an expense... ;)
    All that nervousness about whether it will actually fail to start at all this time will completely melt away :)

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information