1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my 97 748bp so far

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by chizel, Feb 17, 2014.

1. OK! I think I've finally worked out how to upload pics here and would like to share my build with those interested in such things!

I have owned this bike for 7 years now but its not been on the road for nearly 3 now due to a spell in hospital and time off work. It was a lovely lil 748 but was left in a mates garden with no cover on it for a winter ( I am the worlds worst dad ) I thought I could spend sort of 1500 quid or so to tart her up again, mainly the paintwork on the engine was flaking and the frame had acid marks from a battery problem (or a me problem with the bat) and a few scuffs from being moved from storage to storage and a minor mishap on route to the isles of man in 09.

Anyway.. I started the "tart up" 16 months ago now and soon realised that apart from the afore mentioned the weather had taken its toll quite badly on well, everything! Unfortunately I don't have any before pics really (hopefully getting sent a file with the strip down but pics are very fuzzy) long story short(end) its cost a f@*kload more than that so far BUT it is nearly(ish) done.

Will try and put pics in some kind of order but understand im not very good with computers or camera phones or spelling and ive not wrote this much since school nearly 30 years back!

engine state and main reason for strip down
    [​IMG]
    and
    [​IMG]
    stripped the bike down to as smaller pieces as I could but the engine was sent to al at ducati proteam who pulled it completely apart and got all cases sprayed (silver main casings and black where dark bronze or whatever that colour is!)
    [​IMG]
    Will get some better pics of engine but it looks the nuts. No performance work was done to the engine as that wasn't the objective at this stage (just a tidy up) obviously Main bearings and full gasket set as it was in bits, Valve shims, belts. Rings had seized to bore so.... and the clutch was kaput so clutch from my 207 mile streetfighter s engine (which is for sale btw!) has been robbed and awaits fitting. Full stainless bolt kit and samco hoses with stainless clamps.
    frame
    [​IMG]

#1 chizel, Feb 17, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
    • Like Like x 7
    • Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  2. hmmmmm.....

kinda got cut off..... Think I reached max words/pics maybe? I don't know..... and if any one does read this do I have to reply to my thread to carry on my speel? or have I got a magic button or something? my eyes are goin squiffy anyway so will put up more pics soon. any advise on me post gratefully received.... unless negative :)

3. Keep the pics coming!

4. Bad luck peeps, ave found glasses and another can of bulmers so gunna add a lil more! still don't know if i'm posting this in the right way but.... The last pic was of frame Which along with subframe, footrest hangers, headlight bucket, and allsorts of bits where powder coated by reality motorworks in Bristol... they rock.
    subframe
    [​IMG]
    close up of frame which should but doesn't (camera phone) show the quality of those guys work[​IMG]
    Allsorts of bits[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  5. Keep the updates coming:upyeah:

6. As I said the idea was just to tidy my baby up, but for every piece I had powder coated, painted, polished or bought new the bit next to it looked even worse than I thought it did before I started and just stripping her down opened more cans of worms, Not the least being our old mate the swing arm pivot shaft.
    2 weeks prior to attempting this I sprayed (nearly nightly) with penetrating oil but still spent a further week with gas, a draw bolt set up, hammer then bigger hammer before resorting to what I should have done 3 weeks earlier and cut the f@#kin swingarm to bits with a grinder... Wanted a polished swingarm anyway... probably turn out to be totally impractical and get powdercoated black but hey....
    [​IMG]
    Whilst apart it made sense to replace every bearing rather than mask them up for painting ect. Like the 3 spoke wheels and cant afford bst so
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  7. Last pics for the night. Need to get more offa phone (I know it sounds simple)..... Wasn't sure wich way to got with suspension... Ohlins forks for 1000.00 +++++ whatever and I don't know if you have noticed the theme but ohlins are gold so even more to change that. in the end and after a bit of homework got the showas done by brookes . Full ktech kit and set up for my weight, powdercoated calliper mounts, anodized uppers, diamond like coating on the sliders and turned down the caps to remove the red (standard anodizing) that came in at about a 1000,00 and they look the nuts and I believe given my skill level (average at best) should be well good enough for me.
    [​IMG]
    Rear shocks wasn't a tough call really and after 6 months of hunting and bidding I got an as new one for a good price then sent it to brookes for a service and set up for me and of Corse delt with the colour![​IMG]

[​IMG]
    and heres one of the new swingarm pivot [​IMG]
    that's all for now and thanks for the likes and whatnot so far guys:upyeah:
    and after

• Like Like x 7
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  8. I'm sure I've seen your bike at Alec's, top work. Makes my winter refresh seem very lame.

9. Very nice job indeed, almost a shame to ride it once it's finished and a lot of polishing to keep it clean.

10. Thats going to look lovely when all back together. :upyeah:
    But that engine didn't look too bad before you stripped it. Certainly better than my 97 748 bp that I used every day, all weathers. Just on the off chance, it's not R46UWB is it?

• Like Like x 1
  11. You would have mate tis been takeing up space there for 3 months now! that man is a legend I tell ya. don't know about your refresh being lame or not but mine has been more 3 winters now.... so its all relative!

• Like Like x 1
  12. No mate it t275xx and its a 99 not 97 gotta edit me post... I get confused my 900ss was a 97... But yes it will look the dogs (I think)cheers mate! maybe not ya classic beauty but it will be tasty! I commuted most days on her for 3 years in London (all weather) and loved it. don't think they'd ever be a courier bike but more friendly than sum might say!

13. Cheers mate! but I think the shame would be not to ride her.... or does that just sound cool? yea im feeling ya...... and for every penny I spend I think "am I building something I wont ride" (not that i've spent a patch on some .. but its a lot for me) No it will be well thrashed and looked after and in another 13 years rebuilt but by someone with more money than me. god willing. praise alah. dib dib dib

14. Then there are the bits I done myself...:frown: done the strip down and with the help of al am doing the rebuild. but I done a lil bit of plating a shit too [​IMG]
    I don't like gold and although ya cant see most of theses bits all gold must go
    [​IMG]
    I think I done ok here, I bought a zinc plating kit of ebay and plated everything I couldn't buy in stainless or ti (on a mortals budget)
    It all came up well but I know clear passivate dosen't last as well as gold so it may need redoing sooner than id like.....
    the coils I don't know what to do with because they work ok but look like shite so I just plated the brackets and cleaned
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  15. When it's ready it will be good to meet up and have a run.

16. Looks brilliant - The white & Black Ohlins shock is amazing :upyeah:

17. Good work, keep em coming.:upyeah:

18. Yes mate, where abouts are you? always keen for a ride out.... well will be!!

19. Is that wee...?

[​IMG]

20. that'll do pig.... :)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information