1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

899 My Anti Hijack Device!

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by MikeH, Sep 6, 2017.

1. Having been alarmed by the amount of Pani thefts and more recently reports of people being physically removed from their bikes only to see some scrote disappear on it I recalled a recent post where the OP had seen a RF transmitter and receiver and wondered if anything could be done.

Quick look at my 899's wiring diagram and I came up with a way of killing the bike remotely withing 75m or so of me and the transmitter. Not wanting to attack the stock wiring I sourced the oem connectors to allow the newly made loom to plug into existing points, namely the r/h handlebar switch wiring multiplug and the GPS feed supply plug, so should I want to remove it at some point in the future it'll all go back to stock. All tucks away nicely and only requires the removal of the r/h upper fairing and ignition key plastic trim

It's passive by nature so I don't need to 'arm it' or anything other than just put my key in and press the starter, however if I disable the bike from the fob then it cannot be cranked or started until I re-enable it or the battery is disconnected and reconnected - something that's not likely in the scenario I'm trying to protect my bike from. What do you guys think?

Mike

20170906_141430.jpg

• Like Like x 8
    • Useful Useful x 2
  2. I'm sure there are a few on here who would pay a fair price for one to wire straight in to their Pani.

3. Not only the Panigale, I'd like one for Carole's Diavel. @MikeH, I'd appreciate a little more detail on which wire you interrupt. Please PM me if you are happy with that. Andy

4. Great now I know which connectors you used..... where do you live?

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  5. I've a dodgy 12v ciggie USB adapter that gives off so much interference that the immobiliser can't see the key. If I plug it in after the bike is switched on, hitting the kill switch means the bike will now switch back on :p

Your solution is ace though :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Excuse my Ignorance, but can they not just put it in neutral and roll it away as they do with other stolen bikes?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Or with a 'colleague' on a scoot riding off the rear quarter with an Adidas trainer firmly planted on a pillion peg bracket or other convenient point pushing the immobilised bike along.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Thought it might've been a sawn off shotgun or such-like.

9. Hi, I fully agree, but I am not trying to protect the bike when it's left unattended this is purely if someone 'jacks' me and tries to make off with the bike under it's own power, my reckoning is I can disable it, catch the scrote up and give him a good thumping!

• Like Like x 4
  10. If you were that tasty, he wouldn't get the bike in the first place.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  11. Makes sense, thanks for the clarification. I do prefer the option quoted in another thread where you can shock them when they steal your bike. But this will add another option and seems an easy update.

12. Sadly the current law is so perverse that they can sue you for injury, whilst trying to steal your property. How f*cked up is that!

• Like Like x 1
  13. "That tasty" - havent heard that phrase for a long time... :) - good idea though...well, thought out and executed....

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Not wrapped in chicken wire from underneath a river.... never piss off a guy who knows a guy that dredges!

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. Yes, an interesting practice which allows scavengers to do their work whilst stopping anything floating to the surface.

Nasher.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  16. Current law on electrocution?
    Was the pun intended???

17. 1) attaching that to a motorcycle could well void the warranty - if you don't have one, fine. I'd check with your insurer as well as any excuse not to pay up will be employed and that makes the bike non-standard (yes, I know, its totally stupid). Their probable argument: it's not tested therefore it's a potential fire hazard and you were not authorised to fit it anyway, etc, etc.
    2) If your motorcycle has an immobiliser - and I assume it has - then you probably would be better off finding a way to remote triggering it. That probably will not void any warranty or your insurance as it is already factory fitted (I'd check tho' ...) (I am assuming that the device is a remote switch circuit disconnect which amounts to an immobiliser anyway. If I am wrong, my bad)
    3) You are entitled to use reasonable force to protect yourself and your property. What amounts to reasonable force depends on all the circumstances. If the scrote is armed and you not then it would be a cold, hard court that found you liable for any level of force used. If you have put the scrote on the ground ANY force other than that required to retain him there could well be judged unnecessary and therefore unreasonable. My advice, make the first shot really count and no shoe-ing for afters. Taking your helmet off and repeatedly swinging at the scrote's head at arm's length is also frowned upon (so I was informed).

18. Cool mod. May I ask how many pins the GPS connector is? As I have to order one to use this for my gps. Ta.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  19. I can't work out quite what happened there. The ped rider came across and what? Nicked the key? If so, why did he get back on the ped?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information