1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

899 My Bike Took A Piss...

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by psych0hans, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Yesterday after riding the bike in Bombay traffic for a bit, I pulled over for a bit, as the bike was running uber hot. I'd been riding it in "HI" for a while and decided it was time for a break. As soon as I pulled over and turned off the bike, there was a weird whirring sound and almost immediately the bike spewed a shit load of liquid(coolant?) out the right side of the bike, just ahead of where the exhaust starts. Luckily I was very close to where I had to be, so I had a friend come and push me to his place with his scooter. Is this normal? Am I screwed?

The coolant was motul factoryline, last changed only 1200kms ago by the Ducati workshop. I spoke to the Ducati mech and he claims this can happen if the bike overheats. He asked me to check the coolant reservoir and to see if there are any leaks in the system by adding more coolant/water. Having ridden in scorching heat for more than an hr, I was in no mood to fiddle. Will update once I have a chance to get a proper look.
    268955E2-F3E1-4D3A-9989-4D18CC90D3C9.jpg Q9NmikKsQMiqAg5zRMjz1Q.jpg jfNEVWJmTSadavS4EGNLvQ.jpg

#1 psych0hans, Mar 13, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  2. What are the last 2 pictures?? They don't look right.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Underside of the exhaust, it's been hit a few times on various "speed breakers" in and around my city... I say speed breakers, but I should say car/bike/back breakers...

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  4. It looks like you need to trade the 899 in for a Hypermotard!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. That bolt head in the last picture is your sump plug. I'd do my best to avoid the speed bumps if they're getting that close. Lose that and you'll junk the motor...
    Losing a bity of coolant after running with the HI warning for a while is normal. It's overheated and dumped a little through the overflow.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Awesome, thanks for the reply! This is definitely reassuring.

How about a sump guard to protect it? I’ll see if I can fab something up.

7. Haven’t we talked about getting a Honda? ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information