1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

999 My First Ride On The Ducati 999s

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by Richard Tarr, Jul 12, 2020.

1. Well, not exactly the first, I took it around the block before buying it.
    Since getting it back home, i'd taken the fairings, wheels, tank, and timing covers off for a check before taking the bike out for a shakedown ride. The brake and clutch fluid looked old so replaced it and bled the brakes and clutch. I bought some Iridium spark plugs but didn't install them until I'd been on the bike. Oil looke fresh and sufficient, brake pads looked ok as did the timing belts - service records said that they were changed in November '19 but..... you know ....

IMG_2282.jpeg

So yesterday late afternoon I took her out onto the country roads which I thought would be quiet, unfortunately, traffic was heavy and the police were out in force. Other traffic users were very courteous and almost all oncoming traffic duly notified me well in advance of local police presence. On reflection, the traffic volume, police presence and road conditions was a good test of how the bike would handle and respond to a variety of different circumstances.
    So my observations;
    1. The 999 is drop dead gorgeous from just about every angle.
    2. It gets to a ton+ in absolutely no time whatsoever.
    3. The front brakes are exceptional, the back brakes - well good to stop yawing I guess,
    4. The cornering is phenomenal and sticks to a line as if it's on rails - a bit like a 911.
    5. The heat on the inside of my thighs was significant at prolonged speeds of 30 -35 mph, but everything else was protected by the heat shield. Above 50 mph - no problems.
    6. I did notice that the engine temp got up to 103 degrees C in town, is that normal? I had thought of changing the coolant prior to this run, but will definitely do it now.
    7. I'm 6' 2" and 94 kg, and I think I need to back off the rear preload a little, front seemed ok however, I intend taking a more scientific approach to setting up the suspension in the future. Riding position was not too cramped but obviously not as comfortable as the KTM.
    8. The gear change was smooth, too smooth really, as I like to feel a little mechanical engagement when changing gear. Whilst the clutch lever felt positive, the gear change was more than a little vague - a bit like stirring a rice pudding. Is that normal?
    9. Trying to find neutral was like trying to find Atlantis.
    10. I deliberately didn't wear earplugs as I wanted to hear the engine. I wasn't disappointed and I shan't wear them whilst riding the 999 in future.
    11. I noticed when starting from a stop position that there was a whirring noise almost like a slipping fan belt but this was only in first gear and maybe I might have over revved and slipped the clutch a little longer than necessary. Any thoughts?
    12. I accelerated past some slow traffic just outside a town and had to close the throttle a little sharpishly as I came up behind some more slow moving traffic when the engine cut out. I coasted to the side of the road, started the engine and resumed the journey without ny further recurrence. Any thoughts?

IMG_2212.jpeg

In conclusion I'd say that the bike is an engaging ride and requires plenty of focus from the rider. Some bikes can allow you to switch into almost auto mode but not this one. It's noisy, is not too happy when it's in town or in traffic but it deals with it grudgingly and with a few rider changes, a happy conclusion can be achieved. I have no benchmark comparison but for me, the handling at speed and in corners is nothing short of astounding. I will probably require pins in my wrists and skin grafts on the inside of my legs at some point but all of these "disadvantages" are far outweighed by the advantages. After getting home and parking up, I had a very clear mind and was totally relaxed and this brings me to my final point, riding the 999 is the perfect therapy for all the daily headfuckery that we experience - particularly of late. It's like an hour on a psychiatrists couch - only more expensive!

IMG_2292.jpeg

• Like Like x 15
  2. Oh, Ducbird, there's your bin right there!

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Try adjusting the gear lever downward using the adjusting bar. Should make the change more positive.

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. Nice bike you got there.
    11... Mine does that.
    12... Mine does that.:laughing:

• Like Like x 1
  5. 12. Start with a TPS reset. If it still happens then balance throttle bodies, etc.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. It’s all just Ducati ownership! My 1098s hates town travel, gets stupidly hot on the thighs, cuts out occasionally & regularly hits 105 in traffic before the fans kick in. Who’d want a Honda eh?

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Re 11, do you mean a graunching noise. Dust build up causes the noise. Cleaning the clutch plates helps. Some fit an open clutch cover and an anodised pressure plate. Personally, I remove the rubber gasket from the clutch cover and space it out with two washers per bolt. The gap allows dust to escape. No more graunching.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
  8. No, it's more like a slipping fan belt on a car. I'd read online somewhere that it's because the clutch is overheating, but it ocurred about 5 to 10 mins into my journey.

9. Whip the clutch plates out. Note the dot on one of the metal plates and it’s position in the stack. Give the metal plates a rub down with emery paper to remove the blueing. Mix up the friction plates so that the go back in a different order. Reassemble. When you refit the pressure plate make sure the arrow (or dot) goes over the peg with the slot in. Junk the rubber gasket on your CF clutch cover and space out with washers.

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. Thanks, I'll give it a try. My main concern is that it's not something terminal. It seems that it's not

11. Problem with Ducati’s, they are very involving. Nice to read about your first proper ride. :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Yes they are and that's the fun and joy of riding one I guess.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. When you say "mix up the friction plates" does that mean swap #1 with #7 and say #3 with #5? Would it be ok to flip the metal plates 180 degrees as well?

14. Shuffle them up, yes. Flip the metal plates - OK, except the one with the dot. That goes in same place with dot to outside.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Thanks for your constructive input and help. Much appreciated.

16. Not sure I understand what you mean.

17. Never undertaken a TPS before; what kit do I need and what's it called? Presumably it's available on eBay / through Ducati parts retailers, and hopefully it comes with comprehensive idiot proof instructions?

18. All in the handbook. Adjusting will allow gear lever to be repositioned up or down. You should find moving it down slightly gives a more positive change.
    8D19D725-8F72-4A42-B3B3-BE44CB02F19C.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  19. Gotcha :upyeah:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information