1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

998 My New 998 Project

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by number9, Oct 9, 2020.

1. I just posted over in the newbie section but thought I'd post some more details here.

Last weekend I picked up this 2002 998 from a mate. It's got 23K miles on it, so it's been around the block. It may have seen the track at some point: it has Ohlins forks from a 999S, Ohlins damper, a full Termignoni system, an anodized aluminum water pump cover, uprated cooling hoses, and a monoposto subframe with a cheeky (and flimsy) monoposto tail. It's also got some street bits: a Rizoma clutch basket, CRG levers, Mad Duc reservoir covers, and an aftermarket slave cylinder.

It's a little bit of a project as it needs some stuff: forks are leaking a bit (and will need a respring for my weight), needs a clutch cover, some fasteners are missing, LHS headlight cover has a hole in it, front turn signals are rubbish, rear turn signals are missing altogether, and a couple of other things. I really like the look of the white monoposto tail so might try and paint this one; I've always liked the look of black wheels so might send these off to the powdercoater. Which would only look good if I got a carbon airbox too...

IMG_8500.JPG

IMG_8495.JPG

• Like Like x 13
  2. Welcome, Looking forwards to what you do. I’m sure your on it but the tail section looks like it’s sitting too high. The top of the cans should be tight to the seat unit.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Thanks Chris. I guess there's a chance maybe it's a biposto seatframe that's been modified to fit? Also, the monoposto tail does not seem to be factory, so it might not be the perfect shape. It's very flimsy and it's missing the mesh inserts.

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. Welcome mate, lovely bike. Post a pic of the sub frame with the seat off, does look a bit odd.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Great bike and welcome.
    Those Ohlins won't need re-springing for you, just have sag/preload and then damping set up for you and you will be right.
    I agree with the white rear but not the black wheels. Just my opinion, you should do what you want. A carbon air box is also on my wish list
    Good luck

6. I would have agreed with you about the height and the gap but then I looked at a picture of mine and it looks quite similar.
    16023420217848150004945096051508.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. This is my 916 but it’s a biposto, must just be the shape of the mono. You’ve a Lovely bike btw
    7729DB61-B8D1-46E7-ADF6-26BCD93CB196.jpeg

8. keep the updates coming and welcome

the subframe looks dodgy

heres mine albeit late 748r and the cans are quite tight to underside

• Like Like x 1
  9. Here’s mine albeit a BiP subframe.

2B7ABF6D-A617-4020-9F40-A581AE31A709.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  10. Keen to hear more about it. Hows belts and valve clearances etc?

11. Thanks Martin, I've been on a diet of late but I'm still 92kg. I'm not sure what the stock Ohlins fork springs are setup for, but I'm also not sure if it's got the stock Ohlins springs to begin with...

The PO did the belts earlier this year, but I'm not sure about the valve clearances. I've never done belts or valves on a 4V; I have a mate who's local who can do them for me.

In other news, I really want to paint/powdercoat the stock wheels black. But I'm also really interested in a set of Marchesini 10-spokes like @VTwinDave...

12. Sounds like you have your answer with the 10-spoke wheels. That way you can keep the originals stored away.

Couple of pics to help with the rear. both of those have a proper ducati monoposto seat. the red was my old bike and the yellow my current bike:

IMG_9997.JPG
    This had a biposto subframe.

20190327_175003990_iOS.jpg
    This has a monoposto subframe.

13. I've never owned a motorcycle where the previous owner has done satisfactory electrical work, and this bike is no exception. I ordered a new license plate bracket and some indicators so that I can pass my state's version of the MOT. I had always wondered about the monoposto fairing, and this is how it looks from underneath:

IMG_8793.jpg

What annoys me is that some previous owner had a crack at the wiring, and did a piss-poor job:

IMG_8794.jpg

Sigh. I will probably just replace the rear wiring harness; part number is 51011651A and retail is right about $100.

The bike doesn't have rear indicators at all, and I presume the resistors are a way to account for that.

The last issue is hard to see in this picture, but my new OEM license plate holder doesn't fit:

IMG_8795.jpg

The top of the bracket is hitting the bottom of the Termis, and as you can see it's too far away to be able to screw into the bottom of the undertray. It's off by at least half an inch. But why? Is the exhaust too low, is the subframe wrong, is the undertray wrong, or is there some other issue entirely?

#13 number9, Nov 23, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
  14. Looking back at the pictures in the first post and those above I think the problem lies in the subframe itself. Where is from? It doesn’t look genuine or even a copy of the OEM one. It looks like the exhausts can’t mount correctly which is what’s giving the big gap between exhausts & seat unit commented on after the OP and what’s causing the inability to mount the licence plate holder. You may have to shorten the brackets that suspend the exhausts thus pulling them up into the seat unit and giving the room you need for the licence holder.

15. Paul, it's a good question but I don't have a good answer. All I know is it's not magnetic... if you think it's helpful, I can try and take more pictures of it?

Also, are monoposto and biposto undertrays the exact same? I can't seem to find anything concrete online.

#15 number9, Nov 24, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
  16. It’s not magnetic as it’s probably made from aluminium or an alloy of.

There is a difference between mono and biposto undertrays, a quick eBay search will probably throw up some images of each for you to compare. The use of the wrong undertray may be a contributing factor but then my 998 has a BiP subframe, with BiP undertray and a mono seat and all is good.

OEM Mono subframes are very pricy so someone’s probably slung a much cheaper copy on.

17. I guess I'll have to do some more digging! Do you happen to know the monoposto undertray part number? I looked in the 2002 fiche and don't see a mono undertray at all.

Do you think my tail is OEM or an aftermarket jobbie?

18. Don’t confuse the subframe with the undertray which is the black plastic tray that fits under the subframe. The link provided in the previous post shows both mono subframe options depending on which ECU you have. Both mono subframes can be found on eBay (P8 or 1.6M) but they can be expensive.

19. No worries mate, I wasn't confusing them. I was just wondering if the undertray is the same for a mono or biposto bike, because maybe this bike has a genuine OEM mono subframe but biposto undertray hence the fit issues. Although that's looking a little less likely now...

When it comes to plastics, I typically go new OEM it's not much more expensive than bodgy used stuff. For example the new license plate bracket was only $35 or so, and people are asking that much for used stuff on eBay. Same goes for indicators ($25 new)...

Do Not Sell My Personal Information