1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My new project...?

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by iambadgerous, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Hi All

I've always liked the trend for updating 1970's and 1980's Japanese muscle-bikes (GSX1100s and the like) with more modern suspension, wheels and brakes, but (unlike a streetfighter) keeping the bodywork and paint pretty standard.

I've always fancied doing something similar with a Darmah but complete bikes are out of my price-range and all I really needed was a frame, tank, seat and side panels.

Last summer I saw a nice, cheap Darmah frame on eBay and (although the seller didn't have anything else listed) I messaged him to ask if he had any other bits. He sent me an apologetic email saying "sorry mate, the only other bits I have are a tank, seat base and side panels". Perfect. We shook hands on the whole lot at a good price.

Now all I needed was a seat to go on the base. It turned out these are difficult to find but last week one popped up for sale and I snapped it up.

So here's the first mock-up:

IMG00126-20130416-1836.jpg IMG00128-20130416-1837.jpg

Yokes are 900SS, the top one machined out to take the 916 forks. Swingarm and wheels are from an ST4S.

First job will be to modify the frame to take a 904cc desmodue motor. The front mount on the Darmah's original bevel engine is below the front cylinder, whereas the desmodue it's above.

After that I'll have to make room for the swingarm; as standard the frame is too narrow for it too be offered up.

So there we are. I may not be able to make a proper start for a while but when I do I'll post my progress.

Cheers
    Darren

IMG00126-20130416-1836.jpg

IMG00128-20130416-1837.jpg

• Like Like x 12
  2. Hi Darren, This looks to be a real interesting project! Wish you luck with it, not just the build but obtaining all required parts!
    Please do keep us up to date with your progress :upyeah:
    Cheers Phil

3. Yep, looking forward to this:upyeah:

4. waw, a full monty! and something very unique in the making! enjoy and succes... :)

5. Cracking plan, as said before, keep us updated.

6. Great project! Desmohog might be able to help you with the frame mods :upyeah:

7. #7 Pete1950, Apr 17, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
  8. coooooool
    man after my own heart
    modify modify modify :upyeah:

9. Reminds me of the A team van for some reason. Nice looking bike. Can't wait to see this progress.or is it starsky and hutch. Lol

10. Looking forward to seeing more on this.

11. Just needs finishing off, good Luck

12. Cool project. The trick is getting the frame spread apart to fit in the swing arm. The next one I'll do differently; now that I have a frame jig I'll be able to modify it more radically.
    [​IMG]

#12 desmohog, Apr 25, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Cool! Where can I see more?

Darren

14. OK, found it!

15. Well, it's been a while since I started this one! The last few years have been pretty crazy and I've not had much opportunity to get into the garage . In fact I didn't have a garage to get into for a while! Anyway, I'm determined to get on with a couple of my projects including this one.

I'd originally planned to build something with the original bodywork but more modern running gear but things have changed a bit.

I've moved away from the idea of a modern swingarm in favour of a Verlicchi style item that can take a 160 rear tyre, I just prefer the look. However that fat rear wheel is never going to fit once the sprocket and brake carriers are in place, no matter what tyre I fit. But I don't want to go with original '80s wheels. I have a couple of ideas...

I also picked up a genuine MHR tank and a tiny little tail unit from a 250GP bike. I really like the profile of the tail but it's clearly much too narrow, so I think I'm going to cut it down the middle and widen it so it will drop down over the frame. The rear hoop will have to go.

The crank-cases are belt-drive. I'd love to find a bevel engine but I don't want to spend a fortune and generally they're... well... a fortune!

Obviously this is still just at the mock-up stage but hopefully I can get some momentum going!

Cheers
    Darren

20180403_190717.jpg 20180403_190730.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  16. This is as fast as my current build :eek:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information