1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My "other" Bike Won't Start!! Help!

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by Firebladeboy, Jul 21, 2017.

1. Hi All,

In addition to my 2010 Multi and old 1993b 'Blade I've got a Rieju SM125 and a Vespa.

So the Rieju was rusting like a good one, so I stripped it, had the rear subframe powder coated and replaced a bunch of rusty parts. Reassembled and all was well for a day or so.

Bike started to occasionally miss, splutter and die. I made it home and parked it up. Came out next day to find entire half-tank of petrol had leaked out from somewhere toward the upper rear of the carb. Bugger, I thought, float's valve's stuck in carb no doubt. Anyway, put some more petrol in and it ran for a while and then stopped, prob cos no more petrol. Put more petrol in, wouldn't start...

Biting the bullet, I removed and stripped the carb, removed dirt in float bowl, pilot jet etc. Checked a few other jets and stuff, slide action, all seemed well. Put it all back together and refilled with fuel, expecting it to start.

Will it? Will it bugger!! Spins, has fuel in float bowl, wet plug after cranking for a while (which indicates fuel is making it to cylinder to me) and spark when plug removed and held against earth.

So it appears to have fuel and spark but won't start!

Any ideas anyone? I'm thinking CDI maybe delivering spark at wrong time for some reason?

Thanks in advance!

FBB

2. Change the spark plug first. Even though it sparks when removed sometimes it doesnt under compression etc

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Thread moved

4. There's a good chance it's still fuel related as that seems to be where it started giving problems, it could be over fueling ( like having the choke on ) which will flood the engine with fuel, wetting the plug and not firing.

Steve

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Bugger me, that was it! Put a brand new plug in and fired up immediately. Weird, 'cos old plug looked fine and only had 1500km on it! Anyway, thanks!

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information