1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My St2

Discussion in 'Sport Touring' started by PerryL, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Got my ST2 MoTed today and it passed! Riding to the test in the pissing rain with the sun in my face and reflecting of the wet road, I had forgot how much I like this bike. I forgot about the km/h speedo and for a split-second worried about the 140 that I was doing on an A road!

It was SORNed and after the MoT pass, I was going to tax it. But on the way home, I thought it mad to shell out to tax it in November when I have two other road legal bikes. So it will sadly stay SORNed.

And I have done my first belt change using ExactFit belts! will do my Monster next.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Excellent choice of weapon sir!
    Did belts years ago on my M900 2V engine - easy peasy - and a couple of years ago on my ST4 4V engine (with Exact Fit belts) - again easy peasy but a little more fiddly than the 2V motor :upyeah:

3. I've done my own mechanics for years but allowed myself to get frightened off doing belts as I thought that I did not have the correct tools and equipment. Looking back, I just do not understand myself.

I think that a big difference these days is YouTube. Whilst you have to be able to discern the crap from the good stuff, I discovered the ExactFit videos and thought that it looked quite straightforward to change belts myself. I didn't even know that you could buy the belts here and I got in touch with ExactFit in the US to order them. They put me right. This was before I spent any time in this forum.

I know that doing my S4R will be a bit more tricky because it is a 4 valver but no more difficult than changing the chain and sprockets!

I was removing cylinder heads and re-shimming my Darmah years ago in the eighties and I am lost to know what was holding me back now. Compared to the past, I have better tools and facilities together with much more experience and knowledge.

The only other pathetic excuse that I can think of is that I have more bikes, that means that I don't need to hurry to get a bike back on the road.

4. Fair enough on being scared off by scare stories of how difficult things apparently are, the 4V belts are straightforward too, no special tools required. My V6 Lexus was a much harder job so no need to worry about a V4 duke, enjoy the satisfaction of your own work :upyeah:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information