1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My St3

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by PerryL, Jul 4, 2021.

1. I've got to get it back roadworthy anyway. I am attempting to remove the spark plugs. I've fitted a new battery and that is kept topped up by a conditioner that I've wired up.

I want to remove the plugs and inject in some engine oil. After leaving it to soak for a day, or two, I plan to give it an engine spin, on the starter, with no plugs in. As it has been sitting for over two years I want to get some oil circulating and check that it still sucks and blows, before trying to start it properly..

Trying to get the LHS fairing off has been a bitch. The right is already off for the battery job. My ST2 is on the bike lift and so I have to grovel around on my knees. That would not be a big deal if I didn't have a fecked left leg, but really good physio though - although my physio, who doesn't see me anymore, would go nuts! I had a problem with one of the screws that link the left piece to the radiator cover. I got round this by taking off both pieces still connected. Now that I can work without getting on my knees, I've given it a soak in WD40 and will have a look tomorrow.

One problem that I found is that the horn was just floating around held by its wires! The holding bracket is broken and that must of happened years ago. I don't know where the bracket fits to the bike, but I'll have a look tomorrow. The bracket will need replacing as I doubt that I can bodge it - although I'll try!

The good news is that I did all this without uttering a single oath!

And all of the time, I think about my next bike! I think that the shortage of new bikes will suit me, though. I need a lot of time to think!!!!

• Like Like x 2
  2. Welldone Perry, you're truly back with the rest of us; grovelling around on the floor, trying to fix things and discovering evermore broken stuff...

Congratulations!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Nice one Perry, just a thought if you’re apprehensive about turning the engine over on the starter button you could just select a high gear and roll the bike around a bit first, just to get things moving.

4. Whayyyy to go P great start keep grovelling I mean working :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. That is not a bad idea. It is on its main stand and so the back wheel is off the ground and it doesn't matter about flattening the battery a bit as it is wired up to a conditioner, so will soon go back to fully charged. Before doing that, I will lube up the chain with some oil. The chain hasn't been lubed in years!

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information