1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My ST4s 1098 (with other mods)

Discussion in 'Sport Touring' started by Bulletbill, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Hello,

Just thought a few of you would like to see this. My 2002 ST4s with a few modifications.
    Ready? : 1098 motor, airbox, loom, ecu, clocks, switchgear, radiator and oil cooler.
    S4r swingarm, hub, rear disc and rearsets.
    749/999 p4 calipers and discs.
    Forged wheels (999 front, hypermotard 's' rear)
    Renthal quick release sprocket carrier. 15t front, 40t rear.
    Comfort fairing, air runners are where the indicators once where.
    Lsl top yoke, renthal bars and multistrada mirrors. steering damper, custom seat.
    Modified frame to accept the airbox. Modified exhaust system. Modified tank to fit over the airbox.
    Loads of other little changes to make the package work.
    Probably missed lots off here cos it's been nearly 2 years and 7000 miles since i completed this conversion.
    I've owned the bike from new and did about 35k on the 996 motor. It blew a little oil from the crankcase breather a few years ago when we were in the Alps. I got this ultra low mileage 2009 motor (136mls) from the states.
    Basically it went from there.
    In desperate need of a suspension rebuild now, I've just been riding it, it is comfy, but when you try to push on it gets out of shape.
    I now know how bad it is because i had a little go on a multistrada 1200s, silky over the bumps. Made mine feel like your trying to ride a raging bull with a red hot poker shoved up its arse!
    Will be fabulous once again when the suspensions been done, I've got a race tech kit for the front.
    I'm sure i'll have a few questions to answer.
    Regards.

neils phone 085.jpg

neils phone 091.jpg

neils phone 078.jpg

neils phone 090.jpg

neils phone 067.jpg

neils phone 081.jpg

• Like Like x 8
  2. That is superb. Why couldn't Ducati have taken this evolutionary approach instead of replacing it with the Multi?:upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Wicked........if carlsberg made one of these:upyeah:

Are you reading this DUCATI? get it made now!!!!!!

• Like Like x 2
  4. Lovely, all it needs now is a Radical Ducati bodykit ;-)

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Can only be one question: why?!

To which the can only be one answer: because I can

Awesome, bet its a hoot to ride.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Now that is an interesting bike.
    So, when getting insurance and you get to the bit which asks "any modifications? that must take rather a lot of time and space!

• Like Like x 1
  7. ssshhhh. What mods?

8. That must leave a few rice burner owners scratching their heads - fabulous

• Like Like x 1
  9. Nice work!

If it was mine, I'd have to fit a 1098SF swingarm. the S4R one looks spindly.

• Like Like x 1
  10. This is something like i was waiting for the Factory to release when they killed off the st4s. Didn't like the multi enough to want to commit to buy one so i bought my old ST back from the guy i sold it to. He went and bought a multi instead.

The only thing i think this is likely to lack is the long stroke shove of the 996 engine, powerful though the deep sump testa engine is.
    Bravo though all the same and can i buy it when your done with it ?

• Like Like x 2
  11. You do have to love Ducati and the parts compatibility across models, I'm not saying this was easy by a long way but it must have helped.

Shows what Ducati could have done if they thought about it

• Like Like x 3
  12. I remember saying sometime ago an 1199 ST with the torque put back in would be an interesting bike, here's the proof. Roll out the post-modern one please Ducati.

• Like Like x 2
  13. As you know I looked in to sticking a 1098 engine in my 999, biggest head ache by far is the airbox. Other than that is not the hardest job in the world you can even use the 999 loom!

I still fancy doing the conversion and I heard a whisper of a 1098 engine that maybe coming up for sale soon

14. I'm liking that, must surprise a few

• Like Like x 1
  15. Did 1098 engine already have the needle roller bearings fitted for the swingarm?

• Like Like x 1
  16. Erm needle roller bearings for swing arms are not fitted in the engine, they are in the swing arm

17. Err, are you sure?

The original ST4S has the bearings in the crankcases. As does the S4R (which this bike has the swingarm from)

The rear-sets only have rubber dampers in them.

How is the s/arm spindle being supported?

#17 deleteduser211220, Feb 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2013
  18. Tony at Motocorse over Wrexham way has done a few lovely 1*98 conversions into older chassis. The Sps one is particularly fine

19. Like the man in the orthopedic shoes, I stand corrected :biggrin:. Just been looking at a diagram and they are in the casings 916 and 999 I know they are in the swingarm

20. Desmoboy: "The only thing i think this is likely to lack is the long stroke shove of the 996 engine"

Lacking the shove of the 996? Come on, Are you serious? It will crush a 996...easily...any revs...any gear! Have you tried a 1098? :biggrin:

#20 Bulletbill, Feb 21, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
Do Not Sell My Personal Information