1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mystery Pipe...'92 900ss

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by LOUDpipes, Jan 14, 2021.

1. I decided to do a bit of cleaning, so whipped the fairing off only to find a mystery pipe with a large connector on the end, just hanging about, looking like it should be connected to something (hopefully I've attached a pic of it to this thread!). It looks to be coming from the top of the carbs area. Anybody know what this is and where it should go? Thanks :) 900-SS-Mystery-pipe-01.jpg

2. You'll have 2 of them, one for each Carb - breathers.

Nasher.

3. But they should be routed back to the breather box.
    Capture6.JPG

4. Thanks Nasher...so, judging from that diagram, I'm missing a length of tubing that should attach to the end of my mystery pipe, which should in turn go into the little triangular box on the other side of the frame? The bike is up on stands, against the wall, so I can't easily get to the other side of the bike...but I can see that there are no pipes plugged into the triangular breather box at all...as I can see the two holes where they should sit.
    I presume it's not a problem that there are no pipes going into this breather box? As I've been running the bike like this for the 3 years I have owned it!

5. When I bought a Monster engine to fit in my Spondon, I was advised to make sure I fitted those pipes and the still air box.

Those pipes go to the space above the CV diaphragm and fluctuating air pressure can have an effect upon the carb performance, presumably by making the throttle slide position move.

Maybe if you haven't noticed any surging type issues, the pipes alone are doing the job.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Thanks for the info...When I drag the bike out of hibernation I will look into getting these pipes connected back up to the breather box, presuming I can find its twin hanging about somewhere on the other side of the bike :)
    Note to self...must take the fairings off more often and check for things falling off!

7. The boxes on my M900, amongst other things, had been removed by a previous owner, and it ran like a pig.
    I made several steps to get it running right, mainly putting it back to standard in respect of breathers and airbox, but did them individually.
    Reinstating the boxes smoothed it out at higher speeds, I'm convinced by putting the ends of the pipes in still air.
    Obviously your SS probably has more still air behind it's fairing than my M900 has.

Nasher.

8. Apparently......according to Ducati Italy when I asked them about the triangular box, it isn't actually a breather box, but a flame trap.

9. Arquebus/Nasher...Thanks for the info...my bike seems to run very nicely at higher speeds, no problems at all. I will have a poke around on the other side of the bike when I move it away from the wall come Spring time and see what I can find in regard to the second pipe.

10. My top breather pipe just hangs in free air in the same way! Maybe this was a "performance" mod from years ago??

11. Initially I did think that, due to the fact that the previous owner of my bike spent a fair bit of time getting it fettled at Baines Racing...but no....I found the other bit of pipe sticking out of the triangular breather box, the end had just split and detached itself from the coupling.

12. Performance mods hopes dashed!
    Glad you got it in the end.
    :)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information