1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Advice From Project Builders On How Best To Sell Parts

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Android853sp, Jun 26, 2018.

1. The stripdown of my 853 project bike is making progress and I now have to decide on the best strategy to sell those parts that are not going back on to the 748R. That said, I have almost enough stuff to put a kit of parts together that someone could build into a complete track bike.
    My current thought is that parts like the 1098 Showa/NIX30 cartridge kit forks, Ohlins 748RS rear shock, 748R frame, alloy mono rear subframe, Ducati Corse (916 Racing) 30mm offset triple clamps, European Supersport mag alloy swingarm, road and track Marchesinis, carbon underseat crankcase breather box with pipes, Corse engine breather and Corse air box valve are all things that have appeal as individual parts but I was wondering if it makes sense to offer the 853RS engine, (modified) throttle bodies and the 54mm full race Termignoni titanium exhaust system as a package.
    I’ve not got to the stage of considering value(s) but would appreciate a bit of guidance from those who have done this before. Thanks, Andy

2. What parts on the track bike are destined for the R? Why strip it couldn't you just sell it complete?

3. Pile 'em high and sell 'em cheap...

• Like Like x 1
  4. Yeah it's a 998 currently in its Bostrom race livery till I get fed up and stick the wrapped stuff back on, they're currently in the loft

5. IMG_6982.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  6. The Ohlins forks, frame, sub frame, 1.6M ecu and wiring loom belong to the 748R. The 853 and 748R (and the 2 spare RS engines and all my accumulated 748R/RS spares) are going to make room for the V4 Speciale (and the accumulating spares for the 1098R). Andy

7. Got ya, was surprised there was a frame there but obviously another one you'd picked up, in that case as Dad says pile em high sell em cheap :p

8. As the 853 is matched to the (modified) throttle body and 54mm race exhaust, there still seems to me to be some logic in offering them as a package. Need to get everything cleaned and photographed and dream up some prices. Andy

9. Package will always be better, as soon as you split you increase the risk of being left with stuff

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Hi Andy,

I realise it’s 9 months ago, but did you sell this set up in the end mate?

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  11. No mate, I'm a lazy bastard. Andy

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. @Android853sp If you’re looking to sell, I’d be very interested mate

• Like Like x 1
  13. I am sure Andy will look after you :upyeah:;):)

14. Need to have a chat. I’ll pm my mobile number later. Despite the weather, just off out for a ride with a mate. Andy

• Like Like x 1
  15. Lovely, I’ll speak to you later

16. I broke a bike about 6 years ago and sold the bits on the Bay of E. Never again. Firstly, while the big and/or bling and/or frequently damaged bits go quite quickly, you will be left with stuff like the air box and pillion pegs for months, years maybe.

Plus, if you break it into 500 parts, you have just guaranteed yourself 500 separate individual ball aches because the chiseling halfwits who infest eBay will think nothing of say, buying a fairing, but then damaging it and claiming a month later that "it was like that when it arrived" then trying (and usually succeeding) to get their money back through PayPal. And as a seller, you lose every time because eBay and PayPal "claims investigations" seem to consist of little more than some semi-literate teenager who knows no contract law whatsoever, simply pressing a big red button with "Buyer Wins - Process Refund" written on it.

Have you ever noticed that people who run breakers yards are misanthropic misery guts? Well, I now understand why....

#17 Zhed46, Jul 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information