1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Advice On Ventureshield

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by jose, Jan 17, 2019.

1. I have been reading about Ventureshield protection with very positive reviews.

It seems like something that would be great for commuting highway speeds.
    As it is my car has a bunch of front end nicks, I should have done this to my car as well.
    For those who have any experience with this product, I would really appreciate your input.

1- Does Ducati dealers offer this ? If so, how much?
    2- Is it something that I should try applying myself ?
    3- How long does it last ? Is it something that needs replacing after some time ?
    4- Should the headlights be covered as well?

#1 jose, Jan 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  2. I’ve had ventureshield on all my faired bikes now since 2012 so my answers are as follows:

1. My Ducati dealer offers it, but gets a local supplier/fitter to do it. Costs are approx GBP£200 fitted.
    2. I know that some people have. I wouldn’t because I’m cack handed and don’t have the patience.
    3. It certainly lasts up to 3 years. Can’t tell you anything after that as I p/x my bikes after that.
    4. No

HTH :)

Ps. Thread moved

3. Very concise ET.:upyeah:
    However on my bikes answer to 4 is yes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. I have used it on caterhams and rear arch and nose cone cost is about 350 quid and never know how long it lasts I always sold em el quicko lol

5. 1.?
    2.DIY'd my Supersport, incl 4. Lights
    3.?

If you DIY, start with easy, flat bits. I made cockup of the pillion cover, which has sharp, complex curves. Heat gun/hairdryer useful, as was a needle to pop out the inevitable teeny bubbles that I found once all done.

6. Are the lights worth doing?

7. Mine is 15000 miles/ 9 years old. Lifting slightly on one vent under headlight where it wasn't quite fitted correctly. 1st owner had it fitted by dealer. If i was getting it fitted to a bike with miles on id want the surface preparing properly by someone with more skills than me.

8. In my opinion, no. Ventureshield stops chips on the paintwork. To state the bleeding obvious lights don't have paint on them :)

9. This would be for a Hypermotard which doesn’t have that many areas to put the shield on. I figure that I should just try it myself.

10. Indeed they don’t , one could use the same expression to describe how vulnerable they are to chipping or worse due to their positioning.

I was not charged any extra for the headlights on my last 3 bikes.

Why would you not? Weight disadvantage?

11. I’ve never had a headlight chip, ever. But I have (Pre ventureshield) had chips on the paintwork of fairings.

Added to which headlights nowadays are plastic and not glass and therefore more robust imo

12. Respectfully, just because you haven’t had one, doesn’t mean the OP should not have it fitted ( it’s included in 3M cutouts).

No different to a screen protector, just because you have never scratched yours, doesn’t mean the next man wont.

Headlight covers are big business in some marques ( GS) & whilst I accept, the film doesn’t provide the same level of protection, it still provides some.

It’s prudent to use protection when dipping into unchartered territory;)

13. As I said in post #8.........”in my opinion”. The OP asked for input, I gave mine.

It remains my opinion, but at the end of the day if you, he or anyone else wants to spend your money on something I believe that’s not necessary then crack on. Your prerogative. :)

14. I'd not want to reduce the light output any further from the 848, needs all the help it can get!

I'd also not fit it myself if I wasn't prepared to do it twice. The aim is to preserve the look and finish of a decorative surface so for me it needs to be perfect not just good enough. I used to do my own painting and decorating until I accepted that there's a reason many people make a living doing it day in day out. You do your job, I'll do mine type thing.

• Like Like x 1
  15. I'm super fussy about looking after my bikes, so I've put VentureShield on most of my bikes previously. I was never able to find a local fitter (at least one who would return calls) so I did it myself. Two person job, imo - my wife squirts while I massage :)astonished:).

I've got very good to fair results, depending on the complexity of the bodywork - my previous MV Agusta F3 was a bit tricky, and I was never happy with the area around the front fairing. I am sure a professional fitter would have done a better job.

However, I have had a Street Triple Rx since September '15. and that has matt paint - I know you can get matt VentureShield, but I thought the matt paint would wear so badly that I would have it resprayed with 12 months anyway, so didn't put it on. In fact, it's been very resilient, and I've no regrets about buying a matt bike, or not applying VentureShield. There's a couple of chips, but they have positive associations (on the prom in Douglas, IoM, and a Silverstone track day), so I don't mind them.

I've now got a 959 Corse, also matt, and I'm not intending to put VentureShield on it - I figure if it gets too bad, I'll just replace the fairings. I was cool with this idea, but my conviction was tested when I followed a truck carrying gravel with no tarpaulin over it during a 'running-in' ride to Aldeburgh to get chips (of the potato kind). That gave the inevitable first chip of the other kind on the 'red' paintwork :mad:

However, I'm going to ride and enjoy the bike, and will replace fairings if required down the line.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Thank you all for your input.
    I intend to use my bike for commuting on freeways. As it is, my car has lots of pitting on front end from highway driving. This is why I would like to use the ventureshield to protect the bike as much as possible. I think that by putting the shield on, It will preserve the bike from premature damage.

17. got it fitted to my 1299 and v4s it is called clear coat £650 for full v4s had it on my gixers it is very good

18. I used a set on my VFR1200 8 years ago,used a pre shaped kit and also bought an extra sheet.Applied it myself just don’t let your fingers touch the sticky side as it leaves print marks.Great kit doesn’t peel at edges if applied correctly and is flexible around curved areas.Used it on headlight as well,no problems.Should last 10 years at least!!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information