1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Battery Area Help Please

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by RexDangerVest, May 15, 2020.

1. WTF!!!
    so I went to ride and my bike was DEAD to the world...
    Then I did stupid shit...

Then I saw this. Am I missing that Tall bolt thing? I have never opened this area...
    And PLEASE... tell me about it. Part #? Thread? etc. Can I replace it with something else... Or go to the dealer? Buy it online?

Number 12

[​IMG]

Here is what I see,

[​IMG]

Might it be down there in the battery box?
    Is this it? just disconnected??

[​IMG]
    Rex

2. Aanndd...
    If that last pic is it... just not a tall piece that makes it easy to jump the bike...
    (Part on the way via Omaha)
    Do I just pull it up and re attach? It was not cooperating...
    Can I drop the battery tray and get it done?
    Which is easier??

Thanks in advance

Rex

3. Hard to tell from your pictures but it does look like the battery was disconnected?

What bike is it?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Here's a guess Rex.
    Someone in the past has fitted the wrong bolt it's not as per 12 in the photo.
    The bolt they fitted didn't have a long enough thread to fully seat secure.
    They didn't tighten the bolt enough.
    The bolt vibrated loose over time and eventually came fully detached.
    Result, the bike wouldn't start.
    All a guess.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. @Ducbird can you merge this thread and the one below please? They relate to the same issue for Rex and it will help others diagnose.

https://www.ducatiforum.co.uk/threa...for-diagnostics-bike-dead.77968/#post-1634375

@RexDangerVest - another guess.
    As the bolt worked loose it caused arcing across the connections, as this is the power feed to your ABS it caused an electrical surge back through the diagnostics circuit which blew the fuse.
    As I say another guess.

I reckon if you fit the correct bolt and replace the 3a fuse and fully charge the battery, you'll be good to go.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. The hole you are seeing is not the battery terminal :bucktooth: Edit: or maybe I'm seeing things :joy:

Looks like it has a Motolectric Cable Kit Fitted?
    Battery probably shagged.

#6 Exige, May 15, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  7. I don't think that's why the fuse blew at all. The fuse only goes to the diagnostic socket. There is normally nothing connected to it.
    Perhaps more likely the disconnected battery cable was lying against something that grounded it so that the fuse blew when the battery charger was connected to the diagnostic socket.

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. Nuts-&-bolts rattle free occasionally, suppose its a blessing you were at home. Rather than out on a ride & then not be able to quickly grab a replacement nut/bolt. Prehaps add a tiny amount of loctite to stop it doing the same thing'

9. I don’t believe it is the battery terminal, no, it sits above it I think but it’s got a direct link to the +ve terminal and to the ABS system, as the bike suddenly wouldn’t start I’m guessing there’s still a break in the circuit back to the battery just as if the +ve has been disconnected. It’s similar but different to my Monster but then my monster doesn’t have ABS.

And, yes, @RexDangerVest I’m assuming the long pole on the correct nut is for attaching a jump lead so you don’t have to get underneath and I to the battery box.

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. OK
    So it was definitely probably maybe me that blew the 3amp fuse When trying to charge the battery. I have replacements now.
    So, I might have another custom add on that I did not know about? Special starter cables?

I was getting a little worried about the battery. Maybe it was getting old, maybe it was just getting loose?
    I have a new battery on the way. (Sunday) I have that Bolt (Part 12 above) on the way.
    I have a battery tender/charger on the way. (Sunday)

Locktite? No. Everywhere I have checked it states that all thread lockers are insulators. That brand does make a glue that is a conductor but it is meant to be permanent.

Side note
    Once I have removed the battery today and have a handle on that I think I am going to remove the gas tank. And maybe do a visual brake check.
    A) because I want to permanently route my phone power under it to the bars
    B) because I want to check the air filter. I doubt it is stock (Everywhere I look at and touch is an upgraded part)
    so I want to see if it is something like a K&N that needs oiling. If so I will decide whether or not to keep it.
    C) I want to get an idea of what I am running there and whether they are stock. At this point I doubt it. Then I will make a decision on what to buy for when I need them.

Unhappy my baby is down and not looking forward to all of this, but I know I will feel better about all of it once I have done all of the above (I will also adjust the chain) for the first time. It is all work I expect to do myself going forward.
    If it would just rain for a week I would polish my exhaust.

So if you are looking for me this weekend I will be in the garage.

Rex

• Like Like x 1
  11. OH, and it is a 2014 Monster 1200S

Rex

• Like Like x 1
  12. FYI...
    There are seemingly NO Ducati parts places online that will tell you if a part is IN STOCK before you actually buy it.

Rex

13. Rex, in the old days before the internet we used to have to phone the spares folks to find out about stock and delivery. These days people expect everything to be on line when most of it is not, but is still available next day if only people picked up the phone. For Ducati spares there are many good suppliers in the UK and one of the best is Moto Rapido, call them on 01962 873981 ask for Craig or Luke, you can check part numbers here http://www.motorapido.co.uk/pages/parts-and-accessories/parts.htm. They will ship that day if you order before 4.30 and most parts arrive next day. They also sell through ebay but only list a fraction of their stock.

• Like Like x 1
  14. He's in Georgia, plenty in the USA too though :upyeah:

15. Thank you

I am in the USA so I tried here...
    One local dealer gave me 2 numbers of shops that supposedly showed in stock on their machine.
    2 calls, 2 strikes. Then 5 sites online and none that would list of they had it in stock. I like a good website and generally do not buy from sites that do not list if something is in stock
    I had already ordered from Ducati Omaha... but it was late and I forgot to look to see if it showed in stock.
    Either way. A new battery is on the way. I will install it with a normal bolt and maybe change it later if I am thinking I may need a jump soon.

Rex

16. Watch out Mrs Rex!

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. At least you’re getting to know your bike now Rex :upyeah:

18. Yeah. little done because the GF (Capitals make a difference I am told) wanted bacon wrapped sausade stuffed sweet peppers...

I guess I get to request just as many syllables...
    Its like I am at the fair... what can I get with 9 syllables??

A little help here guys...
    "Full Desmo Service" is only 5.

[​IMG]

Rex

• Like Like x 2
  19. Pigs in blankets, food of the gods!

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. And only 4 syllables, much healthier for us:D

Do Not Sell My Personal Information