1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

998 Need To Prime Several Times Before Starting

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by number9, Oct 7, 2020.

1. I'm new to the forum but not new to Ducatis. I just picked up a 2002 998 with 23k miles on the clock. It's had a reasonable life, and one of the things that the previous owner mentioned was he put in a new fuel pump.

However, it needs to be primed more than once before starting, no matter what you do with the choke. If not, it's really hard to start on the first attempt. Prime it 2-3x and it starts easy. I've checked the choke's actuation and it's working.

What's the deal here -- do I just need a new relay? I searched this sub-forum but most of the threads had to do with bikes not priming at all.

2. Fuel filter maybe, does it have problems in the 'gentleman's' quarter of the rev range

3. I’d be checking the condition of the internal fuel lines in the tank first. Might have a small split in there somewhere. Worth replacing for little money and the fuel filter while in there.
    Try running the bike with the fuel cap open.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Do you need to prime twice every time or just after it stood for a while? I prime twice if it hasn't run for a few weeks. The original in tank fuel lines go to jelly with the ethanol petrol so you may have a leak that lets the pressure ebb away. Perhaps the replacement fuel pump isn't the right spec? How old it the filter?

5. Welcome to the Forum :upyeah:.

How long is the delay between you turning the key and pressing the start button? I bought a 2002 998S back in May, couldn’t work out why it wouldn’t start at times (apart from the injector issue discussed elsewhere) then I read in the owner’s manual (who reads them?) the ecu is programmed to cut the ignition if there is a delay of 15secs between key turn & start. With my bike I suspect the 15s is sometimes a very short 15s. If I do leave it the 15s and then press the starter the engine spins over but doesn’t start. If I turn the key and press the start button straight away she fires up.

Try it, fast idle lever on, key turn, press starter.

6. Thanks for all the replies lads, it looks like I spoke too soon. I started the bike last night (which needed several primes) but then started it today with just the normal prime, so it sounds like it's losing a little pressure over time.

I didn't get any service history (Americans don't seem to believe in it) so I'm not sure what kind of pump is in it. Once the bad weather comes I'll pull the tank off and check it out; I'll definitely replace the filter and maybe the pipes too if need be.

I've never heard of that -- interesting. I just turn the key, wait for the priming to stop (2-3sec), and hit the button.

• Like Like x 1
  7. When you say "prime" what do you mean? All DQ engines are fuel injected so have no accelrator pumps or choke.

8. I couldn't think of a better word, but: turn the ignition on so that the pump runs for a few seconds and then stops. (I do realize they're fuel injected.)

• Like Like x 1
  9. If you do that with the tank cap open you may hear fuel splashing indicating a burst fuel hose

• Like Like x 1
  10. I'll give that a try, thanks Harry.

11. it might not be fuel pump related. they are hard to start especially when cold. One thing that helped alot with poor starting on mine was to replace the high current leads from the battery to the solenoid & starter motor and earth for something more substantial. there are kits available from @Exige in the UK or you can get your own made up closer to home

Do Not Sell My Personal Information