1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Neutral Light

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Makusan, Feb 15, 2018.

1. Can anyone tell me if it’s normal for the neutral light glow faintly when high beam or blinker lights are being used? Or when low fuel light comes on? I just bought the Mts 1200S touring 2011 few weeks ago and there’s few electronics that totally freak me out, hope someone can put my mind at ease
    Cheers

2. I had a Multi with this dash Mak, sadly mate, no such issue. I don't recall any lights glowing that should not have.:thinkingface:

(I would have said, could it be the other lights lights you mention shining through to the neutral section, but from memory, the blinkers lights are no where near the neutral light?

3. Thanks that’s worrying

4. See above , edited, someone else will be along soon mate I'm sure :cool:

5. Y
    You’re right, I’ll check it out tomorrow

• Like Like x 1
  6. Unfortunately Makusan, this was a known problem with some of the earlier dash pods
    It is due to moisture contamination on the circuit board, not something that is an easy fix, without replacing the whole dash pod im afraid

Did you buy it from a Ducati dealer? If so, im sure you should have a valid reason to enquire regarding a new dash

7. As Boomer says it's unfortunately a very common problem with the single spark 1200's for the reasons he states. My 2012 was doing it for the last 4 or 5 months I owned it and my mate's 2010 has been doing it for years.
    Looking on the bright side it doesn't seem to actually cause any problems, but if you are like me it's ridiculously annoying :scream:.

If you bought it from a dealer I'd definitely go back, if not I wouldn't worry unduly.

8. Thanks guys might approach the dealership where I bought it from but doubtful about any help as I was told they don’t offer warranty on bikes that are over 5years old or done more than 30000km my Mts only has 23500km on the clock but being 2011 model I’m on my own

9. My Dad had this exact issue on his '11 MTS 1200 S plus one of this indicators was always lit up.

He tried all sorts to solve it, with no real solution. It's apparently badly designed vents on the back of the dash, designed to stop condensation that actually let in too much moisture, which then corrodes the PCB and causes shorts.

A couple of changes in how he stored the bike did help. He used to keep it under a cover in the garage which just worsened the moisture build up and he didn't let the bike idle when it was wet, as the radiator steam goes right up int the dash.
    Following removing the dash and storing it in rice and other homebrew drying techniques, the always on lights dimmed and it didn't get as bad as it had been. Never fully resolved and he sold the bike because the electronics began to scare him. (And this was coming from an ST4s!)

10. You’re not wrong, I just got the bike few weeks ago and the electronics are pretty scary already, I’ll see what the dealership will say
    Cheers

11. Mine used to do that-it got better in summer when moisture evaporated.

12. If their not prepared to do anything about it and they hadn't pointed the problem out to you before the sale, could you go down the "not fit for purpose" route ?
    Are they a Ducati dealer.

13. Yes bought it through Fraser Motocycle
    Thanks I’ll see what they say when I go back to reset the 24000km service alert

14. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Mines done it for years on and off. Doesn't seem to get any worse. Comes and goes. Just try and keep excess moisture away from the dash when washing.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information