1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT New Battery Or Not?

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by BigAlan, Feb 25, 2021.

1. So what with the holidays being opened up (hopefully) our planned Italy trip in July might be on, two weeks cruising.

I have a 2016 Touring S and by then it will be five years old, do I change the battery before I go as preventative measures or leave it if it’s still working fine? It’s been on an optimate in the garage since god knows when and starts fine.

If I am to change it what is the consensus of opinion to what? Lithium, original type or any other variant?

Ta.

2. Difficult to say absolutely one way or the other. People have original fitment batteries for years, some fall off a cliff in 2 years. A Yuasa YT12B-BS AGM is £60 at Halfords (or less if you have a trade card). Not going to go into the benefits and drawbacks of a LiFePO battery (been done to death on here) but cheapest known make, you are looking at least £100. I had a Pb AGM battery die on the ferry going to Santander, it jumped okay but finally gave up the ghost in rural, northern Portugal and took 2 days to organise a replacement even with the help of the local friendly mafia (the hotel manager’s family seem to own/run just about every restaurant and garage in the surrounding countryside :joy:). As an aside, it is recommended that you DO NOT jump a LiFePO battery. My advice, treat yourself to a new Yuasa from Halfords (high turnover so more likely to be newer stock) and get one of their booster packs, https://www.halfords.com/motoring/b...d-lithium-jump-starter---up-to-3l-677469.html. I bought the highest output because I have a high performance diesel car as well. Andy

• Like Like x 2
  3. That looks like a good addition to the bike, got the usual battery jump pack in the garage but it’s not bike portable.

Thanks.

4. Wouldn’t be without it now. Saved my bacon on the ferry and can be used as USB charger for your phone and your sat nav when you have no power. Pretty sure they do 3 versions, up to 1.6 litre cars, 2 litre cars and 3 litre cars. Andy

• Like Like x 1
  5. If it works OK and keeps its voltage, leave it in. I have a 2015 Mutley still on its original battery and its as good as the day it was made (bike AND battery lol) I keep mine charged, which is what promotes longevity.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Exactly what HO said above. Even though as Andy has also said, they can sometimes fail for no apparent reason whatsoever. As it happens I've got the same battery fitted on my Aprilia RSVR Eddy edition and it's 8 years old now. Maintained constantly on an intelligent Optimate 4 charger, which makes all the difference.
    I'm going to get myself a decent portable power pack as suggested, which seems a sensible thing to do, especially when out and about touring!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information