1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

999 New Battery Time

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by yellowducmaniac, May 29, 2017.

1. My current battery has been fitted since I bought the bike over 5 years ago and I think its beginning to show its age, the bikes wheezing and gasping a bit on the starter and its noticeably slower to start than it used to be,even after being left on a trickle regularly its only saying 11.7ish Volts until it starts when it rises to 13.5ish...anyway can anyone recommend a decent replacement and will it be a simple case of disconnecting old and reconnecting new? ,or will it involve a trip to my indie.

2. Depends have brave you are...

Some folks have gone for Lithium batteries but decent ones are expensive and some people on here think they are just too dangerous. I like the idea of Lithium because they are very light and pack a big starting punch but they can be easy to kill. I'm sure they are the future but I decided not quite yet.

I went for the AGM Yuasa, which packs a really good punch to start your engine and is extremely dependable. It just swaps like for like and you need an AGM anyway because the battery sits on its side and ordinary lead acid would leak.

I'm amazed your bike would start at all with those numbers - get a new battery asap or you will kill your sprag clutch.

My 3 year old battery shows 12.7 when charged and 14 plus when running

#2 Old rider, May 29, 2017
    Last edited: May 29, 2017
  3. Ok,will do... will it be a straight disconnect old reconnect new?..I don't want to feck anything up.

4. Oops didnt read your post properly "like for like swap "...that'll do it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. FB_IMG_1495898690822.jpg FB_IMG_1495898690822.jpg FB_IMG_1495898681398.jpg

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. I've got a MotoBatt on mine !! What happened ?

7. Not 100%, was on a FB post, think it was a failing reg/rec that caused it. Not saying a Yussa would have faired better. Just been waiting for a battery thread for a few days now so I had a chance to use it :)

8. Shorai lithium and dedicated charger. 10/10

9. Not exactly cheap though...

10. I had a strong recommendation from Motojohn on here to buy a Motobatt but when I looked them and Yuasa up on the net, I was put off the Motobatt by lots of stories of failure of one kind or another. No such issues with the Yuasa and mine has been faultless. Pretty much the same price as well...

• Like Like x 1
  11. I have a lithium but have never needed a charger as there is no loss over time.
    Love that picture of the Motobatt, that is one battery out of thousands sold and was probably not the battery's fault, but now the picture is on the web no one will buy that brand again!

12. I had a strong recommendation from Motojohn on here to buy a Motobatt but when I looked them and Yuasa up on the net, I was put off the Motobatt by lots of stories of failure of one kind or another. No such issues with the Yuasa and mine has been faultless. Pretty much the same price as well...
    Little loss as long as no drain. If you have an alarm or other drain, it would lose charge just as quickly as any other battery and once it gets to a certain point, it's fatal for the battery.

Having said that, lead-acid batteries don't like being discharged either of course...

13. Yes, to clarify: If you sit a Lithium on a shelf foe a year it will have little or no loss when compared to a lead acid which will. Therefore on most bikes and all of my bikes there is no loss.
    The gain is in the 0.6 kg weight as against the 3.5 kgs of the Yuasa - not that I would ever feel the difference.

14. I Went with the Yuasa, i've just filled it up ,how long should I leave it charging before fitting it to the bike?...its just hooked up to my intelligent trickle charger.

#15 yellowducmaniac, Jul 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
  15. Either as long as you like or don't bother. It only has one function and that is to start the bike, if it does that then it needs no more charge.

16. Just fitted it and impressed with the way bike started on the button, while before it was chugging for a while....now showing a healthy 12.7V going up to 13.6V when riding...changed oil/filter while fairing was off too, dontya just love working on these works of art...:yum

• Like Like x 1
  17. Until the intelligent charger stops charging is what I was told...

Do Not Sell My Personal Information