1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Battery

Discussion in 'Streetfighter' started by David Hales, Apr 15, 2017.

1. ok battery is on its way out, any recommendations?

2. You will have recommendations for every battery made, lightweight, expensive, cheap, for what it,s worth some have good experiences with particular makes and others don't, I have had a Motobat on my 853 for six years trouble free and it still cranks over really well, I would definitely have another when the time comes.
    Steve

• Like Like x 3
  3. What's the model number, I have had a few of those

4. Presume the number will vary , depending on fitment and size.
    Steve

5. Yeah probably, can't be bothered to look under the seat, but will prob have too lol

6. #6 Robarano, Apr 15, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. just bought a Yuasa motorcycle battery from Amazon as it was the cheapest available after extensive searching.

One big advantage I find with using Amazon is the no quibble returns policy!

8. All good advice so far.
    Has no one got the battery model number for the lazy git?

9. ...... Don't think of sending the old one back!

10. MB Item Number MBT12B4
    Voltage 12
    CCA 150
    Capacity (10HR) 11
    Weight 3.52kg / 7.76lbs
    Dimensions (in / mm) L: 5.91 (150) W: 2.76 (70) H: 5.12 (130)
    Assembly Figure
    Terminal Locations
    Terminal 2, M6x2.5 (Part#MPT2)
    Screws 4, M6x7 (Part#2xMPS2)
    Allen Wrench 1, 4x4 (Part#MPAK2)
    Terminal Caps 4, 12x5.5 (Part#2xMPC2)
    Spacer NA
    Case Color Yellow
    Cap Style NA
    Replaces YT12BBS, YT12B4

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • WTF WTF x 1
  11. I was recommended Motobatt but when I looked them up on the net found they were like Marmite in that people loved them or hated them and there were too many hates for my liking.
    Yuasa do an AGM of the same type as Motobatt and without the controversy. Yuasa are neither hated or loved, they are just respected.
    Whatever you do, don't buy an ordinary lead acid, they don't pack the starting punch you need.
    The other thing is, get a cable kit if @Exige does one for your bike. The starting will be transformed.

• Like Like x 1
  12. What's a cable kit?

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. I'd save your time David. A bloke at work made them for me. You can get wall brackets for them, I just don't like wires everywhere. :)

14. You've been here since June 14 and Exiles stealth advertising has still slipped under your radar?

Im on ( virtual) commission .... @Exige .......one more!

• Like Like x 1
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. You can buy an inferior one from the USA. It won't fit properly and the instructions are shit.
    For less money Elsie sells a superb replacement cable kit that works and should have been fitment as standard.
    Probably the best after market "add on" for any twin motorcycle.
    I think he also sells belts..... mainly crocodile made from the backs of Scotsmen.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. The oem cables in the starting circuit (battery to earth, battery to solenoid, solenoid to starter) are marginal when new and develop increasing resistance over time. This resistance robs your battery of power and turns it into heat instead of allowing it to flow through unhindered to the solenoid and starter motor. So much current is then being drawn from the battery that there is insufficient left over for the ignition circuit, so even if the motor will turn over, it may not fire.
    The answer is to replace the oem starting circuit cables with better quality, low resistance, high capacity cables.
    To this end, @Exige on here supplies bespoke cable kits designed to fit specific bikes and with full fitting instructions.
    They are manufactured by a railway industry supplier to railway industry standards and will make your motor start like you wouldn't believe.
    You will need to team the kit up with a top notch battery like a Yuasa AGM for best results though.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. This nearly got an agree....
    Other quality battery makers are available.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information